W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-personalization-tf@w3.org > January 2022

MINUTES: APA Personalization Task Force Teleconference - Monday 24 Jan 2022

From: Mike Beganyi <mbeganyi@tpgi.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 16:24:28 +0000
To: "public-personalization-tf@w3.org" <public-personalization-tf@w3.org>
Message-ID: <BY5PR20MB3012E5A86755F1F23E9B7295AD5E9@BY5PR20MB3012.namprd20.prod.outlook.com>
Hi all,

Please find the minutes in plain text at the end of this e-mail. The link to the minutes is: https://www.w3.org/2022/01/24-personalization-minutes.html


Plain text minutes:

[15:03] <Zakim> agendum 1 -- Content Module Implementations Status (Follow-up on i18n issue #144) -- taken up [from sharon]
[15:04] <mike_beganyi> Matthew_Atkinson: Lisa and I have been working on extension. I am refining code to apply to example. will be sharing with chairs of i18n
[15:04] <janina> q+
[15:04] * Zakim sees janina on the speaker queue
[15:05] <becky> present+
[15:05] <mike_beganyi> Matthew_Atkinson: found the code that deals with mappings. get the code to apply the mapping and load the correct symbol.
[15:06] <sharon> ack janina
[15:06] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:06] <Lionel_Wolberger> q+
[15:06] * Zakim sees Lionel_Wolberger on the speaker queue
[15:06] <sharon> q?
[15:06] * Zakim sees Lionel_Wolberger on the speaker queue
[15:07] <mike_beganyi> janina: glad about data dash. i18n is more concerned that symbols will display correctly, not necessarily as important to finalize mapping
[15:07] <mike_beganyi> janina: can always work out better mappings later
[15:07] <mike_beganyi> janina: does it work and does it display? does it change direction? most important
[15:07] <mike_beganyi> ack Lionel_Wolberger
[15:07] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:07] <sharon> ack Lionel_Wolberger
[15:07] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:08] <mike_beganyi> Lionel_Wolberger: suggest we have at least 3 symbols and rotate between them. one is not sufficient to demonstrate
[15:10] <mike_beganyi> janina: draft e-mail to i18n in order to facilitate potential meeting but APA to i18n chair to resolve issue 144
[15:10] <mike_beganyi> zakim, next item
[15:10] <Zakim> agendum 2 -- Defining short names for the modules -- taken up [from sharon]
[15:11] <Matthew_Atkinson> q+
[15:11] * Zakim sees Matthew_Atkinson on the speaker queue
[15:11] <mike_beganyi> Lionel_Wolberger: we will require that the names appear in the modules
[15:11] <mike_beganyi> janina: and the names are used consistently in the modules
[15:12] <Matthew_Atkinson> Note for the minutes: JF suggested: "Personalization: Content Module", "Personalization: Help and Support Module", "Personalization: Tools Module" - HT https://www.w3.org/2022/01/10-personalization-minutes.html

[15:12] <mike_beganyi> janina: we've agreed the first word should be "Personalization".
[15:13] <mike_beganyi> janina: last word is always "Module"
[15:13] <mike_beganyi> ack Matthew_Atkinson
[15:13] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:13] <sharon> ack Matthew_Atkinson
[15:13] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:13] <JF> Q+
[15:13] * Zakim sees JF on the speaker queue
[15:14] <mike_beganyi> Matthew_Atkinson: issue of semantics or alternative content. the outcome seems to be yes we're talking about both. I like the schema that JF suggested
[15:14] <mike_beganyi> Matthew_Atkinson: we should look a tthe URL and whether we want to have dash semantics (-semantics) in the URL
[15:15] <sharon> ack JF
[15:15] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:16] <Matthew_Atkinson> The URI for the latest published version of the Content module is https://www.w3.org/TR/personalization-semantics-content-1.0/

[15:17] <janina> q+
[15:17] * Zakim sees janina on the speaker queue
[15:17] <mike_beganyi> JF: first three attributes of module 1 are taken up far more frequently than the symbol attribute. I think it's important but it's really about semantics. we're providing metadata. the larger effort is providing machine parse-able metadata
[15:18] <sharon> ack janina
[15:18] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:18] <LisaSeemanKest> q+
[15:18] * Zakim sees LisaSeemanKest on the speaker queue
[15:18] <mike_beganyi> janina: are we discussing whether to include "semantics" in all module names? should we discuss this now or look at remainder of titling and then decide later?
[15:18] <sharon> ack LisaSeemanKest
[15:18] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:19] <Lionel_Wolberger> +1 to provisional titles for subsequent modules
[15:19] <mike_beganyi> janina: are we discussing whether to include "semantics" in all module names? should we discuss this now or look at remainder of titling and then decide later?
[15:19] <janina> q+ to agree with Lisa on the schema
[15:19] * Zakim sees janina on the speaker queue
[15:20] <JF> Q+
[15:20] * Zakim sees janina, JF on the speaker queue
[15:20] <sharon> q?
[15:20] * Zakim sees janina, JF on the speaker queue
[15:20] <mike_beganyi> LisaSeemanKest: don't want to run the risk of having things left out
[15:20] <sharon> ack janina
[15:20] <Zakim> janina, you wanted to agree with Lisa on the schema
[15:20] * Zakim sees JF on the speaker queue
[15:21] <mike_beganyi> janina: pulling the word "semantics" increases our options for naming. might be information in explainer to clarify this. it is use to lock in the first and third words (personalization and module respectfully)
[15:22] <sharon> ack JF
[15:22] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:22] <JF> https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/help/index.html#moreinfo-explanation

[15:23] <janina> q+
[15:23] * Zakim sees janina on the speaker queue
[15:23] <mike_beganyi> JF: acknowledge Lisa's concern, but important to be clear so we have path forward
[15:24] <LisaSeemanKest> q+
[15:24] * Zakim sees janina, LisaSeemanKest on the speaker queue
[15:24] <mike_beganyi> JF: returning to semantics, one of the keys in the attributes is to support other modalities, including highlighting buttons. we are facilitating the ability to point things out and tagging them with metadata
[15:24] <sharon> ack janina
[15:24] * Zakim sees LisaSeemanKest on the speaker queue
[15:24] <JF> +1
[15:24] <mike_beganyi> janina: want to acknowledge that primary approach has been driven by COGA. however, the word "personalization" suggests a lot more than that scope.
[15:25] <sharon> q?
[15:25] * Zakim sees LisaSeemanKest on the speaker queue
[15:25] <sharon> ack LisaSeemanKest
[15:25] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:25] <mike_beganyi> janina: I don't see a problem other than finding another word instead of "personalization" which isn't worthwhile
[15:26] <JF> +1
[15:26] <janina> q+
[15:26] * Zakim sees janina on the speaker queue
[15:26] <sharon> ack janina
[15:26] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:27] <JF> -1
[15:27] <mike_beganyi> LisaSeemanKest: you want to include COGA's concerns re: metadata and implementation. limiting the scope and strong concensus is required
[15:27] <janina> -1
[15:28] <mike_beganyi> janina: do we need a poll? plus one for having semantics to the left of the colon in titles, and minus one to not have that
[15:28] <mike_beganyi> JF: we're struggling with the definition of semantics. right now, attributes that apply metadata. intent to enhance the semantics of the element. when I say semantics I mean the meaning of meaning. this is a link to help. what does that mean? what does help mean?
[15:29] <mike_beganyi> JF: have machines know what help is when users will engage with that link
[15:29] <janina> I'm not hearing the question answered?
[15:29] <mike_beganyi> JF: not the same as using fixed taxonomy terms we have for other attributes
[15:30] <LisaSeemanKest> are triger terms semantics?
[15:30] <Lionel_Wolberger> q?
[15:30] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:30] <mike_beganyi> sharon: do we need semantics in the title, and question two, what do we define as the titles for modules 2 and 3
[15:31] <JF> adding semantics to elements via metadata
[15:31] <mike_beganyi> Lionel_Wolberger: I would like to continue what JF started. I like adding semantics to elements that causes them to be machine-readable
[15:32] <JF> "Programmatic Personalization"?
[15:32] <mike_beganyi> Lionel_Wolberger: the word "personalization" doesn't sit well as it can be misinterpreted. when I think about "personalization semantics" because a lot of semantics we are adding assistance as we understand it. maybe pull out a definition of "personalization"
[15:32] * becky does using the word customization (rather than personalization) help or making it more complicated?
[15:33] * JF -1 to customization - similar but different
[15:33] <mike_beganyi> Lionel_Wolberger: enabling websites for a particular set of ability. that's what personalization means to us. just discussion, not about decisions. "personalization semantics"
[15:33] <Matthew_Atkinson> q+
[15:33] * Zakim sees Matthew_Atkinson on the speaker queue
[15:34] <Lionel_Wolberger> Lionel says to Lisa, Adaptive does kind of work
[15:34] <mike_beganyi> LisaSeemanKest: "Personalization: Adaptive Content Module" as a title? [considering word "Adaptive"]
[15:34] <sharon> ack Matthew_Atkinson
[15:34] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:34] <Lionel_Wolberger> Lionel shares that the interwebs have this "Adaptive content is a content strategy technique designed to support meaningful, personalized interactions across all channels. "
[15:35] <mike_beganyi> Matthew_Atkinson: in favour of scheme. I understand the confusion regarding personas. semantics is a big deal for us. proponent of adaptations in AT.
[15:36] <mike_beganyi> Matthew_Atkinson: not sure we can agree any further than we have already. how would we make progress on the titling?
[15:36] <janina> q+
[15:36] * Zakim sees janina on the speaker queue
[15:37] <sharon> ack janina
[15:37] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:37] <mike_beganyi> janina: my point is that whatever is left of the colon. whatever we do that's what's going to remain consistent. after the colon is particular to the content
[15:37] <CharlesL> Personalization Adaptation: Content Module vs. Personalization Semantics: Content Module vs. Personalization: Content Module
[15:38] <mike_beganyi> Lionel_Wolberger: straw poll: +1 if you can live with Personalization Semantics: as a prefix
[15:38] <mike_beganyi> Lionel_Wolberger: will type exact considerations
[15:38] <Lionel_Wolberger> +1 if you can live with "Personalization Semantics" as the two words before the colon
[15:38] <LisaSeemanKest> -1
[15:38] <JF> +.75
[15:39] <becky> 0
[15:39] <Lionel_Wolberger> +1 if you can PREFER with "Personalization Semantics" as the two words before the colon
[15:39] <mike_beganyi> Lionel_Wolberger: restarting straw poll
[15:39] <janina> -1
[15:39] <JF> +.75
[15:39] <Lionel_Wolberger> +1
[15:39] <sharon> -1
[15:39] <CharlesL> 0
[15:39] <becky> -1
[15:39] <Matthew_Atkinson> +0.25
[15:39] <mike_beganyi> =1
[15:40] <mike_beganyi> +1*
[15:40] <mike_beganyi> OOPS
[15:40] <LisaSeemanKest> -1
[15:40] <mike_beganyi> Lionel_Wolberger: more discussion is needed based on results
[15:41] <janina> I was going to suggest exactly as Charles has
[15:41] <janina> q+
[15:41] * Zakim sees janina on the speaker queue
[15:42] <mike_beganyi> CharlesL: adaptation, semantics, or nothing? I don't have a huge preference. I like adaptive slightly more than semantics. adaptation is more ubiquitous. semantics has been loaded as a term and includes some things and doesn't
[15:43] <Matthew_Atkinson> q+
[15:43] * Zakim sees janina, Matthew_Atkinson on the speaker queue
[15:43] <sharon> ack janina
[15:43] * Zakim sees Matthew_Atkinson on the speaker queue
[15:43] <Lionel_Wolberger> q+
[15:43] * Zakim sees Matthew_Atkinson, Lionel_Wolberger on the speaker queue
[15:43] <becky>  Personalized Adaptation:  <module name> or Adaptation: <module name>
[15:44] <sharon> q?
[15:44] * Zakim sees Matthew_Atkinson, Lionel_Wolberger on the speaker queue
[15:44] <mike_beganyi> janina: I strongly like using "adaptation" to the left of the colon. it really does vary strongly and pull it back into the realm of accessibility. whatever the technical means that achieves it, the point is to interact with the content. accessibility working for the minority of users
[15:44] <sharon> ack Matthew_Atkinson
[15:44] * Zakim sees Lionel_Wolberger on the speaker queue
[15:45] * becky or Adaptive Content: <module name> but then have to change the name of the first module?
[15:45] <becky> q+
[15:45] * Zakim sees Lionel_Wolberger, becky on the speaker queue
[15:46] <sharon> ack Lionel_Wolberger
[15:46] * Zakim sees becky on the speaker queue
[15:46] <mike_beganyi> Matthew_Atkinson: would go a bit further to say that the end goal wouldn't lock us into a particular outcome. I also think that the scope is so wide that adaptations is more substantive
[15:47] <sharon> ack becky
[15:47] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:47] <mike_beganyi> Lionel_Wolberger: adaptation is a well-known word and could move personalization into the realm of abilities.
[15:47] <janina> +1 to Becky's grammar cleanup
[15:47] <Lionel_Wolberger> hmmmm.... Personalized Adaptation
[15:47] <mike_beganyi> becky: personalized adaptation or solely adaptation
[15:48] <Matthew_Atkinson> +1 that "Personalized Adaptation" has a better ring to it, and is still conveying what we're doing. Musing on it.
[15:48] <Lionel_Wolberger> +1 "Personalized Adaptation is what this markup is for"
[15:48] <CharlesL> Personal Adaptation:?
[15:49] <sharon> q?
[15:49] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:49] <mike_beganyi> JF: end of day it's about personalizing or adapting experience
[15:50] <Lionel_Wolberger> +1 when naming things, it helps to keep the goal in mind (e.g., a mission statement)
[15:51] <Lionel_Wolberger> +1 "Making content adaptable to the market of 'one'"
[15:51] <mike_beganyi> LisaSeemanKest: one of the challenges will be education about what this is for. getting what it is for across is utmost.
[15:51] <Matthew_Atkinson> q+
[15:51] * Zakim sees Matthew_Atkinson on the speaker queue
[15:51] <LisaSeemanKest> enabling the user
[15:52] <Lionel_Wolberger> Lionel likes taking off suffixes, so Personal is more friendly than Personalization
[15:52] <sharon> ack Matthew_Atkinson
[15:52] * Zakim sees no one on the speaker queue
[15:52] <mike_beganyi> Matthew_Atkinson: also noted Charles' recommendation of "Personal Adaptation". might misconstrue meaning.
[15:53] <LisaSeemanKest> enabling adaptaion?
[15:53] <mike_beganyi> sharon: straw poll on "Personalized Adaptation:"
[15:55] <Lionel_Wolberger> PEAS - Personalization Enabling Adaptation Semantics
[15:55] <LisaSeemanKest> i need to step away
[15:55] <LisaSeemanKest> thanks guys
[15:56] <mike_beganyi> JF: a collaborative space to make suggestions for titling
[15:56] <mike_beganyi> JF: lots of ideas here and good to have a record and consider
[15:57] <mike_beganyi> janina: why not a wiki?
[15:58] * CharlesL this works for me :)
[15:58] <Matthew_Atkinson> +1 to collaborative decision-making approach via wiki (and we could use a W3C survey for the decision)
[15:58] <mike_beganyi> janina: we have to finish this conversation before moving to next item in this agenda

Best,
--Mike

From: Sharon D Snider <snidersd@us.ibm.com>
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2022 7:39 PM
To: public-personalization-tf@w3.org
Subject: APA Personalization Task Force Teleconference - Monday 24 Jan 2022 Agenda

CAUTION: This email originated outside Vispero. Do not click links, open attachments or forward unless you recognize the sender.

Hi all,

Please find below the agenda for Monday's Personalization TF call. Let us know if there are any other topics that need to be added:

Chair: Sharon
· agenda+ Content Module Implementations Status (Follow-up on i18n issue #144)
· agenda+ Defining shortnames for the modules
· agenda+ Planning COGA January meeting on Our Other Two Modules
The  teleconference information is at: call info - personalization<https://www.w3.org/2017/08/telecon-info_personalization>

Time:
· 10 am Eastern time
· 5 pm IS
· 3 pm UK time

IRC access

An IRC (Internet Relay Chat) channel will be available during the call at: https://irc.w3.org/?channels=personalization<http://irc.w3.org/?channels=personalization>

The server is  irc.w3.org<https://irc.w3.org/>
The port number is 6665
The channel is #personalization

You can write any name as a nickname

Resources and useful links
· Wiki<https://t.sidekickopen90.com/s3t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7kF8cFFTBW4T_qld2zGCwVN8Jbw_8QsRtKVn1vXj1p1kknW16gGBN41Jd6G101?te=W3R5hFj4cm2zwW4mKLS-4mbkbhW49Ldrp2nQ-x1W30mhG94fDYzLW1GBcSW3F6jV_W45NqmX43TBFHW3T6jkg3T1McJf4mCW9mV3&si=8000000004174048&pi=847bb923-2f8a-464b-ea70-c18f5129b0ce>; - this page has links to all our work
· mailing list archives<https://t.sidekickopen90.com/s3t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7kF8cFFTBW4T_qld2zGCwVN8Jbw_8QsRtKVn1vXj1p1kknW16gGBN41Jd6G101?te=W3R5hFj26QkH8W3T3qGX1JHM74W43Wg2w2p76z4W3T4FNJ1Lm8YzW3ZWTXk45W2z0W3SYFSb3K8R4LW41PFYp4ttcHyw43Tw4j48K2&si=8000000004174048&pi=847bb923-2f8a-464b-ea70-c18f5129b0ce>
· Personalization Semantics 1.0<https://t.sidekickopen90.com/s3t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7kF8cFFTBW4T_qld2zGCwVN8Jbw_8QsRtKVn1vXj1p1kknW16gGBN41Jd6G101?te=W3R5hFj4cm2zwW4mKLS-4mbkbhW49Ldrl308ysDW49RkMP3zd6m0W3zhs7S41p0TNW3_R5CW3SYMZQf1Q1_Lt04&si=8000000004174048&pi=847bb923-2f8a-464b-ea70-c18f5129b0ce> (Personalization Semantics 1.0 Editors' Draft<https://t.sidekickopen90.com/s3t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7kF8cFFTBW4T_qld2zGCwVN8Jbw_8QsRtKVn1vXj1p1kknW16gGBN41Jd6G101?te=W3R5hFj4cm2zwW4mbpRl3P28X2W4hCPvp43np2_W49RkMP3zd6m0W3zhs7S41p0TNW3_R5CW3SYMZS0&si=8000000004174048&pi=847bb923-2f8a-464b-ea70-c18f5129b0ce>). See also the Personalization Semantics Task Force GitHub repository<https://t.sidekickopen90.com/s3t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7kF8cFFTBW4T_qld2zGCwVN8Jbw_8QsRtKVn1vXj1p1kknW16gGBN41Jd6G101?te=W3R5hFj4cm2zwW3P28X24hCPvhW43T4Pc1Vp7RHW3K8R4L41PFYpW4ttcHy43Tw4hW3K6K7d4fJd-31V3&si=8000000004174048&pi=847bb923-2f8a-464b-ea70-c18f5129b0ce>.
· our home page
· Web-Based Surveys (WBS)<https://t.sidekickopen90.com/s3t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7kF8cFFTBW4T_qld2zGCwVN8Jbw_8QsRtKVn1vXj1p1kknW16gGBN41Jd6G101?te=W3R5hFj4cm2zwW4mKLS-4mbkbhW49LdqK1N4hm1W1N81nQ3Cfv3hw1N4K5047V2&si=8000000004174048&pi=847bb923-2f8a-464b-ea70-c18f5129b0ce>;
· personalization-semantics source repository issue tracker<https://t.sidekickopen90.com/s3t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7kF8cFFTBW4T_qld2zGCwVN8Jbw_8QsRtKVn1vXj1p1kknW16gGBN41Jd6G101?te=W3R5hFj4cm2zwW3P28X24hCPvhW43T4Pc1Vp7RHW3K8R4L41PFYpW4ttcHy43Tw4hW3K6K7d4fJd-3F1LyzF7W1vp1&si=8000000004174048&pi=847bb923-2f8a-464b-ea70-c18f5129b0ce>.
· Scribing and Participation Tips: http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/wiki/Teleconference_cheat_sheet

· Demo: https://github.com/ayelet-seeman/coga.personalisation and  https://rawgit.com/ayelet-seeman/coga.personalisation/demo/conactUs.htm<https://rawgit.com/ayelet-seeman/coga.personalisation/demo/conactUs.html>

Regards,
Sharon Snider
IBM Design ► IBM Accessibility Leadership Team
(512)965-3957
www.ibm.com/able<https://www.ibm.com/able> and w3.ibm.com/able<https://w3.ibm.com/able>

Received on Monday, 24 January 2022 16:26:15 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Monday, 24 January 2022 16:26:17 UTC