Re: Proposed response to Jeremy Keith

+1 works for me.
Thanks John, well written.

EOM
Charles LaPierre
Technical Lead, DIAGRAM and Born Accessible
Imageshare Project Manager
Twitter: @CLaPierreA11Y
Skype: charles_lapierre

On Jul 27, 2020, at 8:10 AM, John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com<mailto:john.foliot@deque.com>> wrote:

All,

This is my draft proposed response to Jeremy. Are there any objections to my responding with this? Please advise.

Yes: https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/wiki/Comparison-of-ways-to-use-vocabulary-in-content

> Most importantly:
>
>>User agents must not derive any implementation behavior from these attributes or values. Specifications intended for user agents must not define these attributes to have any meaningful values.

This depends on how you define user-agent. As this is all "new technology" we're still building out tooling and helper-apps to consume these attributes, and so we're using the 'experimental' prefix to, well, experiment. It is also worth noting that this task force pivotted to using data-* attributes based on direct and in-person feedback from the W3C's TAG during TPAC 2018.

Ideally, these newly proposed attributes will eventually emerge as non-prefixed attributes, but the TF understands that some of the proposed attributes may not 'pass muster' as unprefixed attributes, at which point we'd look to TAG/WHAT WG/et al. to return to our group with a proposed prefix to use: one that browser vendors etc. agree to/with as well.

This is similar to how ARIA advanced, with @role (which was critical to ARIA) becoming a 'fully-fledged' attribute (non-prefixed) in HTML5, whereas others (ARIA properties) are prefixed, and ARIA attribute values are either fixed terms or text string (similar to what we have with Personalization).

--
John Foliot | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good