Re: Mental Health, Videos and Personalization

Hi Charles,

I'd like to check that assumption a bit please. I had a chat with Chaals,
who as you know is one of the co-Editors of the Microdata spec, and he
confirms that Schema.org metadata can also be used more granularly than
that. In fact, I shared some code with him related to using Schema and
Microdata with video (explicitly), and he agreed that it was correct (well,
he helped me correct it). The issue (as is often the case) is tooling:
today the only real tooling that consumes and uses this stuff is the search
engines. But as a technique, this is indeed valid code:

<video controls itemscope="" itemtype="https://schema.org/VideoObject">

adjusting your thermostat, it also provides alternate captions using
simplified language"> [1]
[2]

  <source src="sample.mp4" type="video/mp4">

  <track default kind="captions" srclang="en"
src="/media/examples/friday.vtt"/> [3]
  <track kind="captions" srclang="fr"
src="/media/examples/friday_french.vtt"/>

</video>

[1] This is for the search engine use-case - it allows for filtering there
[1a] we really don't have a mechanism today to identify "simplified
language", the options are mostly relegated to different languages
(English, French, German, etc. - but requesting a new @kind value could
likely happen, especially with appropriate use-cases)
[2] with a fixed list of features and hazards, tooling can then start to
use "whitelists" and "blacklists" - adding harmful video content to a
blacklist, and/or adjustable content to a whitelist for example
[3] https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/media.html#the-track-element

JF