Re: Three Personalization Documents Seeking Review

Hello, Chris:

Chris Leighton writes:
> Hello Janina,
>
> I've just read - https://www.w3.org/TR/personalization-semantics-1.0/ - to gain context for your request.
>
> For now I'd like to comment on the word 'personalisation'. Unfortunately where I work it is perceived as meaning 'customised content based on what is known about the audience member/user session etc'. I hope that the word is best understood by your audience as you intend it. I have no idea where English language perception of that word most heavily lies in IT circles...

I understand how people coming to anything labeled "personalization"
will bring widely divergent expectations . The criticism is fair, imo,
and it's probably something we should more clearly address in our
introductory materials.

It is true we've not articulated a global view of what might be meant by
personalization. However, I would argue we have indeed addressed a
significant accessibility audience with a technology approach that
that meets your understanding:  "meaning 'customised content based on what is known
about the audience member/user session."

The Module One content is most directly aimed at persons who live with
cognitive and learning disabilities as articulated over years of work in
our Cognitive and Learning Disabilities (COGA) Task Force. We believe
the approach is extensible to address other a11y users, such as were
previously the subject of an earlier W3C/WAI effort in our Indie-UI
Working Group, which was active from 2012-2015.

If the approaches we embark on in these documents prove viable and
extensible, we'll learn whether (or not) they extend out far enough to
address non-disability concerns. We always seek solutions with the
potential to serve as electronic curb cuts. However, addressing
previously unmet COGA requirements is a worthy goal, imo, even if the
full extent of the term "personalization" might suggest each and every
person on the web to some.

> At the same time I struggle with W3Cs use of the word 'conformance'. Such a clumsy term, infrequently used anywhere that I'm aware of. I commented on that to W3C previously.

Yes, that a term with particular W3C meaning that continues to undergo
refinement and redefinition. For those of us working on the concept, the
question becomes something like: "If not 'conformance,' than what? How
do you claim you meet a normative specification--or discover precisely
how you do not meet it, so that you might remedy that?"

Got a better suggestion? That's not an idle request!

Best,

Janina

--

Janina Sajka