Re: Update: joint meeting with CSSWG

Hi Janina, (adding Florian, Tess, Alice, and Léonie.)

Regarding the list of media features proposed:
> https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/wiki/Media_features_use_cases_for_personalization

I have some concerns. I want to make sure the Personalization TF has fully considered the privacy impact before raising it as joint discussion between the full working groups.

If there is a Personalization TF meeting between now and TPAC, I'd like to call in to discuss this with the TF before the joint TPAC meeting.

Janina, you may remember that we proposed many of these media features as part of the now defunct IndieUI User Context <https://w3c.github.io/indie-ui/indie-ui-context.html#Settings> proposal. Despite IndieUI having reasonable security/privacy restrictions <https://w3c.github.io/indie-ui/indie-ui-context.html#privacy-model>, the disability community rejected any feature that might lead to the association of a user having a severe disability. Marco Zehe was the most vocal opponent at the time, though he softened his tone a bit after he read the privacy model portions of that proposal. Later on, Leonie Watson, Jamie Teh, and others led the community in rejecting a portion of the AOM incubation project for a similar, but even more obscure possibility of privacy abuse.

The community’s concerns will be even more concerning if the list of GPII personalization features are added to CSS MQ 5, which has zero privacy protection for the user. I haven’t seen evidence to suggest that adding privacy restrictions on Media Features is a priority for the CSS MQ editors. (Rossen, Alan, and Florian may disagree.) In any case, no privacy restrictions currently exist and IMO those would need to be a prerequisite for the personalization list you’re working on here.

I had a hand in getting many of the User Preference Media Features into the MQ5 draft <https://www.w3.org/TR/mediaqueries-5/#mf-user-preferences>, but until now, we’ve only proposed features to CSS MQ that are used by both mainstream users and users with disabilities. As such, it’s a little harder to pinpoint an association to a specific disability, though the privacy of each one has been a major point of discussion and consideration. It’s definitely a gray zone, but the editors and other WG members have deliberated thoroughly on each.

Other APA proposals in the wiki page, such as the CC and AD media features, can be supported effectively without MQ access to the user preference. For example, the <video> element handles selection of caption tracks automatically, and custom players can provide a “captions” button, so in my opinion, the admittedly useful benefit to adding a new Media Feature does not outweigh the risk of broadcasting to the world that the user is most likely Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing.

There are a number of other media features that would be useful to have (including many you have listed here), but Apple has not proposed them due to the potential for abuse re: privacy and fingerprinting risk to the user.

Let me know if there is is time to meet before TPAC.

Thanks,
James Craig