Re: sugested abstract

Here is my edit to shorten the abstract as discussed at the August 17 meeting. I can add this into the actual document once we have made any changes and reached agreement:

Personalization tailors the user experience to meet the needs and preferences of the individual. Having familiar terms and symbols is critical for many people to use the web.

This module provides  a standard approach to add semantics to web content that enable personalization. The provided vocabularies enable assistive technologies to augment or adapt the user interface and/or content to the user's preferences. This includes:
 • Identifying user interface elements
 • Adding or changing symbols, media, or graphics
 • Simplifying or reducing features and options
 • Providing familiar keyboard short cuts
 • Reducing distractions

These changes help users with varying needs successfully interact with content. Initial efforts focus on the needs of people with learning and cognitive disabilities. This includes people with age appropriate forgetfulness as well as those who communicate using symbolic languages (Augmentative and Alternative Communications - AAC). We expect expansion to other scenarios where a tailored or augmented user interface is necessary.

-becky

> On Aug 10, 2020, at 9:13 AM, lisa.seeman <lisa.seeman@zoho.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks
> Here is my next attempt at the abstract, based on changes from the meeting.
>
> Abstract
>
> Personalization involves tailoring aspects of the user experience to meet the needs and preferences of the individual user. For example, having familiar terms and symbols is key to many users being able to use the web. Personalization enables the author the ability to keep their original design in tack, whilst enabling personalized experiences for different users via different user agents
>

> This module provides web content authors a standard approach to add semantics to enable content to adapt to the needs and preferences of the user.  It provides vocabularies that enable user agents to augment or adapt content to the user scenario and helps the user use and understand the content. It includes use cases and vocabularies for identifying the purpose of controls, symbols and user interface elements and supports simplification and avoiding distractions.
>
> The technology described in this specification is intended to be used to programmatically transform the appearance of typical web content including form controls, icons, and other user interface elements into a rendering more familiar and comprehensible to an individual user, such as:
>
> Adding familiar symbols, media or graphics that the user knows
> Changing symbols and graphics to ones that are more understandable for the user
> Fewer features and options adjusted to the needs of the individual user
> Keyboard short cuts that are familiar to the user
> Reduced distractions to the user
>
> This helps users with varying needs to understand web content more readily, by simplifying the web interaction, and by avoiding forcing the user to grapple with unfamiliar representations they are ill equipped to comprehend. Our requirements have focused on  the needs of people with learning and cognitive disabilities, such as enabling people with age appropriate forgetfulness to users who customarily communicate using symbolic languages (generally known as Augmentative and Alternative Communications - AAC). We anticipate this work to befit other use cases where a tailored, or augmented user experience may be beneficial.
>
> This Personalization Semantics Content Module 1.0 is a component of the Personalization Semantics series introduced in the Personalization Semantics Explainer 1.0 document [personalization-semantics-1.0].
>
> All the best
>
> Lisa Seeman
>
> LinkedIn <http://il.linkedin.com/in/lisaseeman/>, Twitter <https://twitter.com/SeemanLisa>
>

> ---- On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 15:03:49 +0300 lisa.seeman <lisa.seeman@zoho.com> wrote ----
>
> Hi Folks
>
> I was wondering if we need the abstract to also say what this module does relative to the whole suit.

> [...]

Becky Gibson
Sr. Accessibility Strategist
Knowbility.org

Co-Chair, Accessible Platform Architectures http://www.w3.org/wai/apa