Clarification (was Re: Personalization Minutes 7/15/19)

Hi Charles,

One issue I wanted to underscore was captured in a comment made by Janina:

> where they ran into issues from Matt is noun from verb. We can tell them
that they need to fix it to go mainstream.

While I agree that this will be a problem for A.I. as well as likely also
hand-authored content (the disambiguation of nouns from verbs, etc.), I
suggest that this is out-of-scope from what we are attempting to do here.

I also agree that garbage in / garbage out does not aid PwD, especially our
target audience, however at this time I see that our goal is simply to
figure out a robust mechanism for programmatically conveying that
"translation" using the attribute *data-symbol="something"*, and not how to
fix the quality of that something, which is whatever the author has chosen.
Currently, the proposal is simply to suggest that the "*something*" be one
of the key numbers that Bliss uses as part of their data-base, sidestepping
*which* key number is chosen in any given circumstance.

As Lisa has indicated, the initial content we anticipate being marked-up
with using our 'solution' will likely be all be hand-authored content, and
so the quality issue is one that is also an editorial issue - it will be a
human choosing the most appropriate symbol for the end consumer; we simply
provide the mechanism for doing so.

I think it is critical that we do not conflate the two concerns into one
requirement.

JF

--
*John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good