Re: 48-Hour Call for Consensus (CfC): New APA Charter

Hi Janina,

> In fact the reason that Personalization became an ARIA, rather than an
APA Task Force during our last round of rechartering--as PF was split into
two WGs--is precisely the understanding that the likely solution would be
based on ARIA.

​...which partially answers​ one of your later questions: I supported
moving from a proliferation of aria-* attributes to newly proposed coga-*
attribute(s) in 2015, because under the ARIA Work, it was all about
attributes (there did not appear to be any other way out at that time).

​My understanding now however, 3 years later, is that the current chair of
the ARIA WG, along with others, have come to question whether that was the
right approach, and in fact one of the reasons for moving Personalization
out of the ARIA WG was to open up the possibilities of other non-attribute
solutions (as suggested by Lisa and Michael back in 2015), and more
recently by Sam Goto of Google, who I was able to convince to come join
this effort. Sam is not an accessibility person, he is a Google engineer
with a deep knowledge of meta-data, personalization with regard to search,
and is currently attached to the Chrome Dev team, and he too has asked
about different mechanisms to achieve these goals.​

I believe this is also in keeping with Katie Haritos-Shea's comments that
Personalization is (should be) bigger than just accessibility, and that we
need to be involving more voices in this pursuit. I believe that moving
Personalization TF under APA frees that TF to do that further exploration,
investigating CSS approaches, HTML5 approaches (Leonie suggested the one or
two attributes approach that Michael has documented, which would require
assistance from the Web Platform WG), and lower-level API +
JavaScript/Polyfill approaches (Sam). It is against those understandings
that I remain concerned that the Modules continue to reference
attribute-based solutions.

> The relevant language that IS in the current APA Charter draft
covering normative Personalization specification work is in the "Scope"
section and reads:
        "Leverage existing W3C markup technologies to produce new
        specifications which support content personalization for various
        identified accessibility requirements;"

Precisely, and yet, instead we seem to be being offered a new prefix and
18+ new attributes. Again, the examples in the Modules contradict the Scope
as you have indicated above.

> Do these disclaimers help?

​Stepping back and recognizing time constraints and deadlines, I agree that
those disclaimers (once the final module is "cleaned up" - per Thaddeus)
will ​be minimally sufficient.

​> It is very much a work in progress and likely to remain so for some
time. We do hope you and Deque can help make its outcomes useful to an
ever widening circle of both developers and end users.​

​Indeed, and it is my hope that my questioning here is in fact​ a sign that
I for one, and Deque as a whole, want to ensure that not only do we get
this done, but that we get it done right.

> I'm hoping we can find the resolution that could get Deque from a -1 to a
+1 on the APA Charter.

​Having articulated the concerns and getting them into the public record,
coupled with the fact that many of those concerns have been acknowledged
and steps have been taken to mitigate many of them, I think that the
Charter can advance now without further issue.​

JF

Principal Accessibility Strategist
Deque Systems Inc.
john.foliot@deque.com