Re: Proposal for personalization semantics as vocabulary

The point of my message was to ask for evidence on the questions you
raise. If you have evidence, please provide it. Absent that, I don't
think we should hold open a decision that slows us up or creates more
complexity than we need. More specifically:

On 10/10/2017 1:36 PM, lisa.seeman wrote:
> Hi
>
> It is more then limiting to future work. Questions include:
>
>   * does it limit current work including things that are in the
>     specification and may even have people working on implementations?

I don't know, does it? In my message I said I think the answer is no. If
you think the opposite, please describe specifically how. I tried to
address all your concerns that I know about.

>   * does it make some things more complicated?

I don't know, does it? I think no, and explained why. If you think it
does, please say how.

>   * can we do a mix, where some items are a vocabulary and some items
>     are not? (We would only use this option if it becomes useful.)

I think that would increase the complexity - and reduce the number of
likely implementations and slow the timeline - even more than I was
worried about before. Can you say what a mix would look like and what
problems it would solve that we don't currently have solutions for?

>  Alough some things might seem more simple, other items  become more
> complex, such as logs and some of the alternate version attributes.
> This is even more removed from the path of simplifying log and step by
> proposing to  make "log" and "step" roles values.
I need more details about these use cases. The only one I had heard from
you is log, and I addressed what I knew about it in my message. If you
have explicit use cases, we need to see them to discuss them.

> Some people may also find the aria implementation more complex as a
> vocabulary.
Who, and in what way? Please draw those people into the discussion so
they can explain the issue. I didn't cover this in my message, but in
the call yesterday explained that I think the implementation is no
harder as a vocabulary because we would provide mappings to ARIA, RDFa,
and Microdata, and I said that because of that we could have
interoperability of a greater number of approaches than just the one if
it's structured as an ARIA module.

> i am not saying no but maybe we should gather data on the questions
> above before we decide.
That was the reason I sent my message. I was expecting you to respond to
the points I raised, and I tried to structure it in a way to make it
easy to respond to them one by one.

I'm concerned that simply saying we need more data, but not providing
the data or even verifying that it exists, will slow down the work too
much. I'm not saying we need to make a decision today, I want to make
sure any concerns are evaluated, but we need to move forward at some
point reasonably soon. If you have concerns about that, we need specifics.

Michael