Re: Call for Consensus to Publish Payment Request API and Payment Method Identifiers as Recommendations - reply requested before 11 January 2022

2. Do not support the proposal – FORMAL OBJECTION

Criteo does not support the Payment Request API as is and is resubmitting a Formal Objection.

On October 28, Criteo raised a Formal Objection regarding the Payment Request API. Several items of this FO have been resolved through the pull request [1], and we thank the group for that.

One concern remains, for which we are maintaining our Formal Objection.

We think that there is some open-ended language [2] in the Payment Request API proposal that could be used by an implementer to justify preferencing one or several payment solutions or its own commercial interests that exceeds the scope of the working group to facilitate payments between users and merchants, and we think this should be addressed. For example, the current language states a user agent could show only its own payment solution “if the user agent wishes” or filter rivals’ solutions “at its discretion.” We believe the specification should be updated to explicitly address these uncharitable readings.

We are open to solutions such as:
-        Adding a generic statement related to the specification should not be used to restrict competition and/or violate the W3C Antitrust and Competition guidance
-        Adding language that would further restrict in which cases implementers might intervene in commercial transactions between users and merchants, such as “for security and privacy reasons”
-        Adding language that would directly tackle the competition concern, such as “to the exclusion of self-preferencing commercial interests of the implementer”
-        Removing or otherwise rephrasing the open-ended language to better capture the true intent of the working group
-        Or other alternatives that W3C members would suggest

In discussions with members, we did want to highlight a confusion we heard regarding our objection. We are not stating the specification itself must comply with all regional laws (e.g., we heard existing specifications knowingly violate some regional encryption laws) or for the W3C to police compliance with regional competition laws and agree that this is not the role of the W3C. Instead, our concern is narrowly focused on ensuring the specification itself abides by existing W3C policies.

Best,
Lionel
[1] https://github.com/w3c/payment-request/pull/978
[2] In paragraphs 3.3.6, 3.3.12, and 3.3.18 in https://www.w3.org/TR/2021/PR-payment-request-20210930/#show-method<https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2FTR%2F2021%2FPR-payment-request-20210930%2F%23show-method&data=04%7C01%7Cl.basdevant%40criteo.com%7Cd910041102da469059d708d9d6d2935c%7C2a35d8fd574d48e3927c8c398e225a01%7C1%7C0%7C637777022179405696%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000&sdata=ojZII%2Fe7IM8Zb5qKp8mqACOeIFP2GsM4L3mpEjySuVE%3D&reserved=0>