Re: PaymentRequest traction. Re: [Minutes] 27 June 2019 WPWG teleconference

Hi Anders,

I agree with you very much that we also need to work with payment apps to
bootstrap the ecosystem. My current mental model is that Payment Handler
API [1] is the extension point to bring on more payment apps.

Your earlier idea about a bluetooth payment app [2] is very interesting.
What do you think about prototyping it by creating a web-based payment
handler (i.e. a service worker) that handles the communication with a phone
payment app via bluetooth? It feels possible given things like Web
Bluetooth API [3]. It'll be interesting to learn what are the challenges of
this approach before we attempt to standardize browser/OS/device
communication.

[1] https://w3c.github.io/payment-handler/
[2] https://github.com/w3c/payment-request/issues/865
[3] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Web_Bluetooth_API