Re: [Tokenization] Attempt to synthesize Token Usage Type from 1 May discussion

From: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 11:07:11 -0600
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, Web Payments Working Group <public-payments-wg@w3.org>
Cc: "Patel, Keyur" <keyur.patel@mastercard.com>, Richard Garreth Waller <Richard.G.Waller@aexp.com>, "Dix, Simon" <Simon.Dix@mastercard.com>
Thanks, Ian! One comment inline.

On 5/2/18 10:03 AM, Ian Jacobs wrote:
> Tokenization Task Force participants,
>
> Yesterday we discussed [1] tokenization use cases and corresponding request data requirements
> related to "token usage types”. I’ve updated the spec [2] based on the discussion and welcome
> review. I’ve pasted the new text below as well.
>
> Ian
>
> [1] https://www.w3.org/2018/05/01-wpwg-minutes
> [2] https://w3c.github.io/webpayments-methods-tokenization/
>
> ====
> Token Usage Type values
>
> * "one-time"
>    The payee expects to use the token only once (e.g., for guest checkout).

Do we want to conflate one-time-use token and guest checkout? In my
experience, guest checkout allows you to not create an account at a
merchant website, whereas creating an account does not necessarily
involve allowing the merchant to store a card on file for future use
(but might be convenient to view past orders, create a wishlist, etc.).

Also, we noted in the conversation yesterday that a one-time-use token
might involve multiple charges (e.g., because of split shipments). I'm
not yet sure how that factors in...

Peter