Re: IETF JSON Signature Options

On 2018-06-07 23:46, Adam Roach wrote:
> I haven't been following the conversation about what might need to be
> signed or why, and my observation below shouldn't be read as an
> endorsement of a need to sign anything; however, in case the WG does go
> down the path of signing a JSON object, it should do so with complete
> information.

If payment request data needs to be signed or not is depending on the architecture of the underlying payment system.  For 'basic-card' it wouldn't make much sense, while it in a "pay-with-your-bank" scheme could be crucial since the merchant security context isn't (securely) transferable when the payment request data is handed over to the bank.

Regarding the extreme complexity of JSON canonicalization, nobody claiming this have (AFAICT) performed any kind of analysis, it has just been taken for granted based on previous experiences with XML which is a quite different beast.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8225#section-9: Except for numerous omissions (for strings and numbers), the only difference to https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rundgren-json-canonicalization-scheme-00 is sorting on Unicode code points versus sorting on UTF16/UCS2 code units.

Anders