Re: Proposed addition to list of approved card networks: cartes bancaires (cb)

From my own experience in standardisation on those types of issues, we
never reach a way to establish such a classification and, as far as I
know, no registration authority succeeded in establishing such a list at
worldwide level so far (we perfectly understand that organisations such as
Worldpay and others maintain their own list).

I'm not saying here that it is not worth trying to establish such a
classificiation, but if one should establish such a list,  it seems to me
that ISO would be the best candidate to do it (with the appropriate
Registration Authority to further identify).

I understand the importance of achieving such a list in the context of our
model but I wonder about who would be entitled to establishing such
criteria and on what basis.

The option of accepting any code based on a formal application submitted
by a given scheme would possibly make sense since it would a) ensure that
we do not register a code outside of any formal/legal agreement coming
from a scheme and b) there is some incentive for the scheme to apply for
such a code to be part of the game. Furthermore, it would make the scheme
liable for communicating an appropriate code to W3C and not the other way
around.

Conclusion: we definitely need to address this issue further in our
meetings, but a pragmatic approach should certainly be the main driver in
order to avoid spending weeks or months on an issue that may appear more
complex than we initially anticipated.

William