Work started on proposal to manage basic card network names in list separate from specification

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 10:51:44 -0600
To: Payments WG <public-payments-wg@w3.org>
Hi WPWG,

I took an action at our recent call [1] to write a proposal regarding management of network identifiers
(defined in the Basic Card spec [2]). Here is the first draft of the proposal:

  Proposal to Manage Card Network Identifiers Separate from Basic Card Spec
  https://github.com/w3c/webpayments/blob/gh-pages/proposals/supported-networks-list.md

Note: the initial list of identifiers comes from our 21 April 2016 draft [3], minus the ones that we
now manage through the supportedTypes values. In discussion about the proposal, I think we
should mostly focus on the question of whether we are ok to publish a separate list that we
change through WG decision. We should also discuss the list of identifiers, but in my mind
that is not the priority question around this proposal.

Comments welcome,

Ian

[1] https://www.w3.org/2016/11/17-wpwg-minutes#item03
[2] https://w3c.github.io/webpayments-methods-card/
[3] https://www.w3.org/TR/payment-method-basic-card/

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447