Re: Web Payments Demo

> On May 27, 2016, at 9:37 AM, Telford-Reed, Nick <Nick.Telford-Reed@worldpay.com> wrote:
>
> An example that immediately springs to mind might be Paypal as a payment application – which might itself contain multiple payment methods (credit card, debit card, direct credit transfer from bank account). Payment method ≠ payment application. (Other examples of payment applications – Android Pay, Apple Pay, Visa Checkout, Masterpass…)
>
> >> I think the UI should not only show the one payment method that the browser (based on internal heuristics I guess) decides on its own should be the default displayed,
> >>  and bury the rest of payment-method choices in a select menu or other UI that requires the user manually activate a disclosure triangle or other UI widget to see what payment methods they can use.
>
> The other observation I’d make on Mike’s comments would be to flag a huge concern over the default payment app/method. Payment providers spend (in the case of Visa and Mastercard) Billions of dollars a year making sure that their payment instruments are front of wallet. I think “burying” the other choices will make getting support for adoption from these providers pretty difficult. I am anticipating that the prioritisation of payment applications and payment methods will be one of our most challenging design issues.

There’s more scope perhaps for situations where a user hasn’t indicated a preference. I don’t want to play down the use case, I know it’s a very important one for merchants.

But at the same time I think it’s a very tough argument that a merchant should be able to override a user’s explicit preference if they’ve set one. If I say “I always want to pay with Method X”, but a merchant who accepts X is able to override my default selection to Y…that’s a bad user experience. I told the user agent I always wanted to pay with X where available. User agent preferences aren’t normally allowed to be overridden by sites arbitrarily.

I think you’re right that it will need further consideration, especially with regards to an equal benefit to the user and the merchant. I’m sure there’s a compromise somewhere.