Re: User Consent and Addresses

From: Dave Longley <dlongley@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2016 12:24:57 -0400
To: Adam Roach <abr@mozilla.com>, Andre Lyver <andre.lyver@shopify.com>, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Cc: Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Web Payments Working Group <public-payments-wg@w3.org>
On 05/10/2016 12:06 PM, Adam Roach wrote:
> On 5/10/16 11:02, Andre Lyver wrote:
>>
>> Agree with Adrian H-B.
>>
>> This behaviour is crucial to the checkout flow for merchants (and
>> especially Shopify). I think the fundamental piece that we are
>> forgetting is the fact that the final amount is going to change based
>> on a shipping address or shipping option change. This was the reason
>> for including the shippingoptionchange and shippingaddresschange
>> Events and their associated event handlers it in the Payment Request API.
>> https://w3c.github.io/browser-payment-api/specs/paymentrequest.html#shipping-address-changed-algorithm.
>>
>> For example, a change of shipping address by the payer can invalidate
>> the shipping method selected (e.g. a change country from Canada to
>> U.S. may mean that CanadaPost is no longer available). This means that
>> a different shipping option will need to be selected, and as a result,
>> the final transaction amount will need to be updated (via
>> PaymentRequestUpdateEvent) _prior_ to proceeding with the actual payment.
>
> That all sounds correct. It also sounds like a pretty compelling set of
> arguments for collecting the address and shipping method prior to
> initiating the payment flow.

To add to that, there has been a lot of research indicating that showing
shipping costs or collecting shipping address too late in the process
leads to shopping cart abandonment.

These points have been raised in the past as reasons for keeping
shipping out of the process. Counter arguments have been that it's
really difficult for users to enter their shipping address, especially
on mobile, and browsers can help with that. Note that this doesn't mean
it needs to be late in the process. My understanding is that another
counter argument has been (paraphrasing) that "we haven't tried this new
API yet, so maybe it will fix these problems."

--
Dave Longley
CTO