Re: Updates to Payment Apps wiki page

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2016 16:43:10 -0500
Cc: Payments WG <public-payments-wg@w3.org>
To: Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>

> On May 9, 2016, at 10:03 AM, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Ian and WG,
>
> I have made some updates to the payment apps wiki as requested:
>
> 	• I added a comment about us needing to clarify our scope. I think a lot of what was in there assumed that the scope was only payment apps that run in a browser and ignores the possibility of other apps that can still be interfaced from a browser over the Web.
> 	• I added a few definitions to differentiate between browser-based and web-based apps (per scoping question above).
> 	• I also dropped the hybrid and web-technology apps as I'm not sure these have any impact on integration with a browser (i.e. an app either runs in the browser or doesn't which is all that matters from the perspective of integration with the browser).
> 	• I added the following line to the display text:
> "The browser should display matched payment apps in an order that corresponds with the order of supported payment methods supplied by the payee"
> 	• I made changes to the advantages and disadvantages of the invoking and response sections based on discussions with Ian.
> (Although I'm still not sure I agree that JavaScript encapsulation has an advantage of flexibility, I think it's the opposite)
> 	• I corrected the steps in the JavaScript encapsulation approach to include passing the response to the browser.
> 	• Added a hybrid response approach
> 	• Made some minor changes to the data collection points

Thanks, Adrian. I made some edits to your text, primarily to “tighten things up” (and mostly by moving things around or tweaking the text).

This seems like a good WG call question: whether the scope of its initial work will be web-based payment apps or (the subset) browser-based payment apps.

Ian

Tel:                       +1 718 260 9447