Re: Call for reviews of HTTP API and Core Messages proposals

On 05/03/2016 03:37 AM, Tommy Thorsen wrote:

>     I'm a bit concerned about your "Accept: text/html;application/json" use
>     case because it makes a number of assumptions that are not clearly
>     spelled out in #128.
>
>     For example, the HTTP API could most likely depend on standard
>     authentication mechanisms like Digest, HTTP Signatures, Negotiate,
>     OAuth, etc. This is what this demo will do in time:
>
>     http://http-mediator-demo.web-payments.io/
>

> I guess you're right, but does that mean it's not really feasible to
> unify the two payment app types? HTTP Payments and Web Payments already
> use different user-agents. And the payee will need bespoke
> implementations for each of the two payment types. If the payment apps
> can't be shared either, what is common between the two systems?

Just because we may need two separate interfaces to communicate
with/authenticate with a Payment App doesn't mean we aren't sharing
Payment Apps. There is often more than one way to communicate with an
application.

> Only the format of the request and response messages? That's not a whole lot...

I disagree, I think that's a big deal. I think being able to take a
payment request message that you received in one way and pass it
seamlessly to a Payment App using the API of your choice is powerful and
important. It also opens the door to all kinds of new experiences on the
Web -- in a similar way that search engine result pages have gone from a
list of blue links to information rich, interactive displays.

--
Dave Longley
CTO