Re: New tracking tool in Firefox

So the WhatWG's spec says:

 > User agents should allow the user to adjust this behaviour, for
example in conjunction with a
 > setting that disables the sending of HTTP Referrer headers. Based
on the user's preferences, UAs
 > may either ignore the ping attribute altogether, or selectively
ignore URIs in the list (e.g.
 > ignoring any third-party URIs).

It doesn't sound like Firefox has actually implemented these
controls, but if they did it would significantly reduce the privacy
concerns I think.

If a site uses this feature then I think they should certainly
disclose it in their P3P policy. How they disclose it depends on what
they are doing. Depending on whether the ping goes to their own
servers, or third party servers, and whether it is accompanied by a
pseudonym, PII, or no unique identifier would determine what is the
appropriate disclosure. It might be pseduo or individual analysis or
decision. It might be a state management mechanism. Could possibly be
something else.... It also could force a site to disclose a recipient
other than ours.

Lorrie