From: public-p3p-spec-request@w3.org [mailto:public-p3p-spec-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Rigo Wenning
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 19:29
To: Lorrie Cranor
Cc: 'public-p3p-spec'; Giles Hogben
Subject: Re: Trouble with data schema

Didn't we agree, that a transform would be released as a WG Note? The
problematic things is the backwards compatibility requirement. At the
moment it requires the backwards transform. That's why it is referenced
in the Specification and so desperately missing.

Problem is: What implementations do we break if there is no transform?
The transform makes the data format incredibly complicated / nearly
unusable. So this is the key question. Only if we can provide a service
for automatic transform to 1.0 dataschema, it all makes sense. This
said, the necessary (and not the 'nice to have') transforms should be
annexed to the Specification as long as we require both formats.

The advantage put forward to use just plain XML Schema (tools, ease of
use etc) slowly disappears here, if the new format is even more
constrained as the old format and requires difficult operations before
having a valid policy.

Best,

Rigo

Am Thursday 07 July 2005 18:08 verlautbarte Lorrie Cranor :