Re: [BH] The most generic binding

On Wednesday 16 July 2003 17:01, Steven Pemberton wrote:
> I think the confusion is that the wrong mail has been quoted. My mail
> suggesting binding a P3P Policy to an arbitrary element is at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-forms/2002AprJun/0247.html

Thank you Steven, it's useful to see the original source when trying to
figure out what the issue is! <smile/>

> The problem is, there can be several <submit> elements, and each
> submit could have a different policy associated with it.
>
> I propose removing the <privacy> element, and adding a p3p attribute
> to the <submission> element to identify the policy reference file for
> the submission:
>    <submission action="/submit" method="post"
>     p3p="http://..." id="sbmt"/>

I'll note that since this email was sent over a year ago, you presently
don't appear [1] to do either of these. Instead,
(a) XForms doesn't have any special mechanisms for the policy association,
instead you reference the existing methods [2] (well known location, link
tag, HTTP header).
(b) Orthogonally, a P3P data element type can be bound [3] to an XForms
instance data node. I assume there must be a one-to-one mapping for each,
so the binding list could get rather exhaustive.

Even your suggestion above did *not* require a per element (e.g.,
"user.personname.given") policy association, only a per submission
association.

[1]http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/CR-xforms-20021112/slice3.html#structure-model-submission
[2]http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/CR-xforms-20021112/sliceC.html
[3]http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/CR-xforms-20021112/slice6.html#model-prop-p3ptype