Re: status of xsd:duration in OWL (and RIF and SPARQL) - ACTION-164: RDF WG

Am 03.05.2012 16:20, schrieb Evain, Jean-Pierre:
> As a humble user, I would welcome this addition of duration because we need it in the AV industry (I am form the European Broadcasting Union).
>
> Also, if not already solved, having date and time as separate datatype would be cool.

Sure, but, I'm afraid, the question here is not so much on coolness, but
more on whether a certain datatype qualifies /technically/ to be
included in the set of OWL 2 and RIF datatypes, and, of course, also
whether the formal W3C standardization process allows a not-fully-closed
W3C working group (after 2 1/2 years of dormancy) to add new features to
an already finished recommendation. And, for me at least, these
questions are not trivially to be answered. Btw, doing so may have the
not-so-nice side effect to make a large set of currently available OWL 2
tools incomplete w.r.t. OWL 2, at least for some time of transition...

Just a note from a notoriously un-cool guy,
Michael

> I currently have in my ontologies duration expressed as dateTime (or edit units to timecode) and dateTime is a pain :--)
>
> Jean-Pierre

Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, IPE / WIM

FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik
Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10–14
76131 Karlsruhe, Germany
Tel.: +49 721 9654-726
Fax: +49 721 9654-727

michael.schneider@fzi.de
www.fzi.de

Forschungszentrum Informatik (FZI) an der Universität Karlsruhe
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
Vorstand: Dipl. Wi.-Ing. Michael Flor, Prof. Dr. Ralf Reussner,
Prof. Dr. Rudi Studer, Prof. Dr.-Ing. J. Marius Zöllner