Re: Rationales for OWL 2 new features

On 29 Apr 2009, at 19:57, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

> Several new features that were not in the initial list of new features
> have been added to NF&R recently to make NF&R comprehensive.
> Unfortunately, this highlights the fact that these new features do not
> have the same level of rationale as the other new features.
>
> These new features are:
> - data range boolean combinations
> - datatype definitions
> - annotation property axioms (subproperty, domain, range)
> - top and bottom properties
> - anonymous individuals
> - inverse properties
>
> None of these features have the same level of rationale as the initial
> list of new features but some of them have some rationale in NF&R.
> The
> WG should probably ensure that each of these features does have an
> adequate rationale in NF&R.
>
> My suggestion is that whoever was behind each of these features (You
> should remember who you are!) should be responsible for determining
> whether the rationale in NF&R is adequate and producing a message to
> the
> WG so indicating or producing some rationale to put in NF&R.  It would
> be best if these rationales were not technical rationales.
>
> peter
>
> PS:  Here are my initial thoughts on which of these features have
> adequate rationale:
>
> data range boolean combinations	no - no rationale or example

follows 'naturally' from the next one

> datatype definitions			no - no rationale or example

ease of writing/reading/maintaining ontologies: for datatypes that
occur a couple of times (like adult-age, legal-driving-age)

> annotation property axioms		no - except for subproperty
> top and bottom properties		no - no rationale or example

they had one, possibly technical: it was deemed to be useful since you
can then 'hang' property hierarchies from the top property like you
can do with class hierarchies...

> anonymous individuals			maybe - technical argument
> inverse properties			maybe - technical argument

ease of writing ontologies: if you can't think of a name for an
inverse, you can use the inverse operator