RE: Occurrences of "OWL 2 Full" in our documents

Hi Peter!

Yes, thanks. Changed to "... OWL 2" there.

>2/ Minor - The Introduction will probably need some wordsmithing
>after the term replacements have been done, particularly where it refers
>to OWL 2 Full ontologies.

Yes, this resulted in a few minor changes.

>3/ Moderate - "OWL 2 vocabulary" is not a phrase that I would use here,
>without some special preparation, even though "OWL vocabulary" was used
>in S&AS.
>
>In particular I would not go along with
>   The OWL 2 vocabulary is a set of IRIs [RFC 3987], which occur in the
>   sets of RDF triples that build the RDF encodings of all the OWL 2
>   language constructs [OWL 2 RDF Mapping].
>
>I suggest instead using "OWL 2 RDF-graph vocabulary", I guess, although
>that is rather pedantic, particularly as it would be a frequently used
>term.  To reduce the level of pedantery the document could define "OWL 2
>RDF-graph vocabulary" and then say "(commonly abbreviated in this
>document to ''OWL 2 vocabulary'')".

Having a more distinguishing name instead of just "vocabulary" is a good idea, IMO,
in order to avoid, e.g., confusion with the vocabularies of the Functional Syntax
or the OWL/XML syntax. I can see, however, a few slight issues with the concrete
suggestion "RDF-graph vocabulary".

First, I would then like to generally call the vocabularies of other RDF semantics
in the way "XXX RDF-graph vocabulary" as well. But this would sound strange for
XXX := "RDF(S)".

So I thought "graph vocabulary" might be good. But then, I remembered that the RDF Semantics
(in Section 0.3) already talks about a "vocabulary of a graph" (in contrast to a vocabulary
of an interpretation), and I have called this a "graph vocabulary" myself several times
in the past.

But, after all, isn't the most distinguishing aspect of the RDF/RDFS/OWL 1/2 vocabularies
that they consist of URI/IRIs? They don't have much to do with RDF graphs. So why not
simply call them "IRI vocabularies"? This seems to at least avoid confusion with our
other syntaxes.

>If the sentence above was then removed from the Introduction

Agreed, this was a strange beast, anyway, so it's good to have it removed.

(I filled the gap with a sentence mentioning datatypes and facets,
which are also treated in the "Vocabulary" section.)

>and the redundant sentence
>    The OWL 2 Full vocabulary is a set of IRIs [RFC 3987] with the
>    standard prefix name owl (see Section 3.1).
>was removed from 3.2, things would be cleaner.

Removed!

Ok, here is the complete diff:

  <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/index.php?title=RDF-Based_Semantics&diff=21795&oldid=21756>

It's a lot, but the three most interesting changes are those in the Introduction (§1), in Section 2.1, and in the "Changes" section (§9). In all cases, I basically reused the formulation from the Document Overview of the form "RDF graph interpreted using the RDF-Based Semantics" (in slight variants) for referring to "OWL 2 Full".

Is this ok? Then we (I?) can adjust the "Conformance" document accordingly, and afterwards we seem to be ready to go.

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Research Scientist, Dept. Information Process Engineering (IPE)