Re: Proposed comment about CURIEs

Bijan!

Thanks for doing this. I'm pretty fine with most of the text, but I
have a concern with one part below.

On 3 Apr 2009, at 16:57, Bijan Parsia wrote:
[snip]
> I (Bijan) would like to add that for a long time I, and everyone I
> was talking with, thought that you *couldn't* further restrict the
> syntax of CURIEs. The liberalizing sentence occurs *10* paragraphs
> after the CURIE grammar! Those 10 paragraphs are a mismash of
> things about the *syntax* of CURIEs and things about the *host
> language*. We strongly recommend rewriting that section with (at
> least) two headings "further syntactic stuff" and "host language
> issues"
>
> Actually, just move the stuff on host language issues into, you
> know, the section on "Incorporating CURIEs into Host Languages",
> make that section informative, and kill all the examples (or move
> them to, y'know, an examples section). While you're at it, merge
> "usage" into examples as well.
>
> C'mon! This is supposed to be a SPECIFICATION and most of it is
> random blathering and examples. The conformance section is a JOKE
> and the normative section, for all its brevity, is a disaster to
> read. Write the spec. Make it tight. And give us a clear pointer to
> the part we're supposed to USE, please.
[snip]

While I understand and sympathize with your frustration, I don't
think it's productive or helpful to include this in the official WG
response. Instead, we might take the specific editorial
recommendations and sanitize their expression. E.g.,

"""EDITORIAL NOTE: Many of us found the organization of the spec, and
especially of the normative parts, very confusing. We suggest that
"Usage" and "Examples" be consolidated, and that there are two
normative sections, "Syntax" and "Incorporating CURIEs into Host
Languages" which contain the respective constraints. The second
section could usefully be broken down into "XML host languages" and
"Non-XML host languages"."""

Again, thanks for doing this

Cheers,
The Other Bijan.