RE: What is the rationale for "*:x rdf:type owl:NamedIndividual" ?

Hello,

This declaration has no special meaning: owl:NamedIndividual is not assigned any special meaning in the vocabulary of OWL 2. The
vocabulary element is used only to denote that 8:x is declared.

Note that writing *:x rdf:type olw:Thing would be ambiguous. You get the same triple by serializing this axiom:

ClassAssertion( owl:Thing *:x )

To distinguish the two, we need a new vocabulary element to tag declarations of named individuals.

Regards,

	Boris