RE: Question re: HasKey entailments

Hi Jim!

The idea behind the class a:Person (the first argument) in the HasKey axiom
is /not/ to entail that subjects of the key property a:hasSSN are instances
of the class a:Person. This could easily be achieved by putting an
additional domain axiom on that property a:hasSSN : PropertyDomain(a:hasSSN
a:Person).

Instead, the idea is that the given property a:hasSSN is only "key-ish" for
instances of a:Person. For instances outside of a:Person (or for instances
that are at least not known to be from a:Person), the property a:hasSSN does
not need to be a key. This allows to define a sort of "local key", i.e.
local to some given class, which you cannot define with inverse functional
properties.

In the given example, both a:Peter and a:Peter_Griffin are known to be in
class a:Person, and hence the property a:hasSSN really acts as a key for
them: They are entailed to be the same individual, based on the fact that
the objects of the two property assertions are equal ("123-45-6789"). But if
you drop the last axiom, then nothing specific is known about the individual
a:Peter_Griffin, and so the key axiom will not "fire".

To summarize: In order to make a HasKey(C p) axiom fire for two individuals
a and b, two premises must be met:

  (1) The objects x and y in two property assertions "a p x" and "b p y"
must be identical: x = y.

  (2) The individuals a and b must both be instances of the class C.

You can see these two conditions (somewhat buried by other conditions) in
the definitions of the semantics of Keys, both in the Direct Semantics [1]
and the RDF-Based Semantics [2].

[1] <http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/Semantics#Keys>
[2]
<http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/RDF-Based_Semantics#Semantic_Conditions_for
_Keys>

--
Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
Tel  : +49-721-9654-726

Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe