Re: possible goals for 'less technical doc'

On Oct 30, 2007, at 9:46 PM, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>> I think a less technical early publication has the following goals:

> Note - longevity was not a goal.
>
> I would not be surprised if the first draft of such a doc, was also
> the last, with the useful text (if any) migrating to documents with
> more long-term viability.

Might I suggest that there are a variety of venues for such efforts
and that group documents, esp. through the pub process, is not always
the best way.

It is very good for getting certain kinds of wide review (hence my
advocacy of publishing early). But I'm a bit skeptical that many less
technically oriented users watch WDs.

Blog posts, mailing list stuff, etc. are good. E.g., the Protege (and
Jena, and Pellet) mailing lists have a large number of end users. A
"canonical" wiki page that was widely advertised might get sufficient
attention even without WD status.

(It would be nice to have some insight from SWEO, and perhaps some
coordination.)