Re: ISSUE-21 (import-target-match): REPORTED: match of owl:import target to imported ontology uri undesirable?

Hi Alan, others,

As this issue refers to another issue on Google code, we should probably
check and correct cross-references when migrating. I have already made
the appropriate modification for this issue, and will check others as well.

Best,

 Rinke

Web Ontology Language (OWL) Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> ISSUE-21 (import-target-match): REPORTED: match of owl:import target to imported ontology uri undesirable?
>
> http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/
>
> Raised by: Alan Ruttenberg
> On product:
>
> Reported by alanruttenberg, Oct 02, 2007
> "An ontology O directly imports an ontology O' if O contains an import declaration whose value is
> the ontology URI of O'."
>
> This seems to prevent a style of version management in which multiple versions of an ontology with  the same ontology URI are posted at different URLs. The importing ontology then chooses which  version to use by specifying a versioned URL. Unfortunely, given the spec, an ontology intended to  be imported in this way would not in fact be imported.
>
> See, e.g. http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?URIsURLsAndVersioning
> Comment 1 by hoeks...@uva.nl, Oct 12, 2007
> Related to  issue 33 :
>
> http://code.google.com/p/owl1-1/issues/detail?id=33

Drs. Rinke Hoekstra

Email: hoekstra@uva.nl   Skype:  rinkehoekstra
Phone: +31-20-5253499    Fax:   +31-20-5253495
Web:   http://www.leibnizcenter.nl/users/rinke

Leibniz Center for Law,         Faculty of Law
University of Amsterdam,           PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,            The Netherlands