Re: comments on RDF mapping

From: Jim Hendler <hendler@cs.rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: comments on RDF mapping
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 09:17:02 -0400

> One thing what would help me a lot, and maybe reduce some of my
> confusion would be if there was a single table somewhere of all the
> vocabulary terms that will now be in OWL, perhaps with a * as to
> which ones are syntactic sugar.

Do you mean

owl:AnnotationProperty
owl:Class
owl:DataRange
owl:Datatype
owl:DatatypeProperty
owl:FunctionalDataProperty
owl:FunctionalProperty
owl:FunctionalPropety
owl:InverseFunctionalProperty
owl:ObjectProperty
owl:Ontology
owl:Restriction
owl:SymmetricProperty
owl:TransitiveProperty
owl:allValuesFrom
owl:cardinality
owl:complementOf
owl:differentFrom
owl:disjointWith
owl:equivalentClass
owl:equivalentProperty
owl:hasValue
owl:imports
owl:intersectionOf
owl:inverseOf
owl:maxCardinality
owl:minCardinality
owl:onProperty
owl:oneOf
owl:sameAs
owl:someValuesFrom
owl:unionOf

which I just generated using a few simple Unix tools?  I don't think
that any of these are syntactic sugar.  (Note that the above list
exposes what is almost certainly a typo in the RDF Mapping document).

By the way, doing the same on OWL S&AS results in

owl:AllDifferent
owl:AnnotationProperty
owl:Class
owl:DataRange
owl:DatatypeProperty
owl:DeprecatedClass
owl:DeprecatedProperty
owl:FunctionalProperty
owl:IndividualProperty
owl:InverseFunctionalProperty
owl:Nothing
owl:ObjectProperty
owl:Ontology
owl:OntologyProperty
owl:Restriction
owl:Symmetric
owl:SymmetricProperty
owl:Thing
owl:TransitiveProperty
owl:allValuesFrom
owl:backwardCompatibleWith
owl:cardinality
owl:complementOf
owl:differentFrom
owl:disjointWith
owl:distinctMembers
owl:equivalentClass
owl:equivalentProperty
owl:equivalentTo
owl:hasValue
owl:imports
owl:incompatibleWith
owl:intersectionOf
owl:inverseOf
owl:maxCardinality
owl:minCardinality
owl:onProperty
owl:oneOf
owl:priorVersion
owl:sameAs
owl:sameIndividualAs
owl:someValuesFrom
owl:unionOf
owl:versionInfo

I'll work up an analysis of the difference shortly.

> As far as I can tell from the
> current document, most of my existing OWL would be no longer DL,
> since it lacks type information,

Well, if your OWL is in RDF form and it is missing typing, then it is
not in OWL DL.

> and there'd be a lot of new
> vocabulary items to learn to fix it -- but I can't really evaluate
> this because it is so difficult to map from the new syntax to the
> old.

According to the RDF Mapping document "The RDF syntax of OWL 1.1 is
backwards-compatible with OWL DL, this is, every OWL DL ontology in RDF
is a valid OWL 1.1 ontology", so the mapping apparently isn't that
difficult.  (I don't know whether I believe this claim.)

> There are 10s of thousands of OWL documents out in the world,
> I'd like to try to figure out the effort to migrate and this would help

>    Could this be done automagically?  Would a "convert to OWL11"
> program be possible - again, this is because I'm confused for a lot
> of these predicates as to whether they are necessary or just useful
> to implementors (but ignorable my many users).
>   Another thing that would help, apparently several of the reasoners
> (Pellet, Fact+, etc.) now handle OWL11 - do any of the editors?

Protege, for sure.