Re: comments on RDF mapping

thanks Ian/Mike - that's just what I needed (I hadn't upgraded my
Protege - will clearly need to so I can stop asking these dumb
questions) - obviously we will eventually need a document that takes
people through all this (extension to guide/reference), but for now
it would help just to have the vocabulary stuff pulled out - maybe
one of the implementors in the group could do this -- the structural
document would be much better, IMO, if it included such a list so
language-oriented people like me could more easily see what is being
proposed
  -JH

On Oct 23, 2007, at 9:26 AM, Ian Horrocks wrote:

> Jim,
>
> You (and others with similar questions) may find it useful to try
> the following:
>
> - grab one of the editing tools that already supports the OWL 1.1
> draft (Protege 4.0 [1] works well for me);
> - create a suitable definition (of Hand in your case)
> - save the ontology
> - look at the file with your favourite text editor
>
> In this case I get:
>
>     <owl:Class rdf:about="#Hand">
>         <rdfs:subClassOf>
>             <owl:Restriction>
>                 <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasPart"/>
>                 <owl11:onClass rdf:resource="#Thumb"/>
>                 <owl:cardinality
> rdf:datatype="&xsd;nonNegativeInteger">1</owl:cardinality>
>             </owl:Restriction>
>         </rdfs:subClassOf>
>         <rdfs:subClassOf>
>             <owl:Restriction>
>                 <owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#hasPart"/>
>                 <owl11:onClass rdf:resource="#Finger"/>
>                 <owl:cardinality
> rdf:datatype="&xsd;nonNegativeInteger">5</owl:cardinality>
>             </owl:Restriction>
>         </rdfs:subClassOf>
>         <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="&owl;Thing"/>
>     </owl:Class>
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Ian
>
> [1] http://protege.stanford.edu/download/prerelease-alpha/index.html
>
> On 23 Oct 2007, at 14:10, Jim Hendler wrote:
>

>> Sorry Mike, you'll have to be clearer than that for me - I'm just
>> some dumb techie (i.e. I see the vocabulary terms, but not how to
>> use them) -- let's use a simple example - the example of a QCR
>> raised to the original working group was to be able to say
>>  A hand has five fingers, one of which is a thumb.
>> Can you show me how to say this in OWL11 (in a document format -
>> RDF or N3 preferably)
>>  thanks
>>  Jim H.

>>> Assuming we're both looking at [1], that information is contained in
>>> Table 2, "Transformation to Triples".  Note the rows in which
>>> "Transformation T(S)" includes a statement using either the
>>> owl11:onClass or owl11:onDataRange predicates.
>>> --
>>> Mike Smith
>>>
>>> Clark & Parsia
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.webont.org/owl/1.1/rdf_mapping.html
>>>

>> "If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research,
>> would it?." - Albert Einstein
>>
>> Prof James Hendler				http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~hendler
>> Tetherless World Constellation Chair
>> Computer Science Dept
>> Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy NY 12180

it?." - Albert Einstein