Re: Conservative Extension of OWL 2

On 11 August 2015 at 17:44, Leila Bayoudhi <bayoudhileila@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> HI?
> Thanks for your answer.
> I noticed that this notion a a strong relation with "ontology
> modularization". Has it a relation with ontology evolution?

In a way, yes, as extending an ontology is a form of evolution.
However a conservative extension is a very specific form of evolution.
I don't know if anyone studying ontology evolution has connected it
formally to conservative extensions.

> Is it expected to have a conservative extension of the ontology since it
> relies on logic while evolving an ontology?

Conservative extensions are rare and hard to build, so I'd say no -
not necessarily. Plus, ontology evolution, on occasion, /wants/ to
change the meaning of an existing ontology. Conservative extensions
never do that. So, in that sense, they're incompatible.

Cheers,
Ignazio