Re: A solution to integrate CWA into OWA.

On 19 Aug 2011, at 16:51, duanyucong wrote:

> Dear Bijan Parsia,
>
> Thanks for your kind reply.
> I will study it.
>
> Firstly please check piceces of your reply which i have copied as below:
> (1)"...My mind reading capabilities failed to detect that you are a student(***)..."

Before the message where you said you were a student, I did not know you were a student.

> (2)"...you mobilized was used in any standard or reasonable sense. (E.g., "notation", "CWA", "OWA", "semantics", "ontological", "negation"). This is characteristic of naive students(***) ..."

*"...and of kooks"*. Selective quotation is not your friend!

> Can you see the contradiction in your expression?!

Nope. "and kooks" is sufficient to avoid contradiction. (I could have thought you were a kook or I could have not known whether you were a naive student or a kook or both.)

And, of course the fact that something is *characteristic* of certain classes of people doesn't mean that it cannot occur in people not in that class. So while your confusion is characteristic of naive students and kooks it can occur otherwise.

And, of course, I wrote the second line *after* you told me you were a student and the first line *before*. That it is raining today and was not raining yesterday is not, pace early Greek philosophers, contradictory.

I trust this lesson in reading comprehension will be salutary.

Note: If you're going to condescend, it helps not to make multiple elementary errors. Just a thought!

>  I am not imagine how many similar cases could be counterred in those more than 100 papers published by you in the past five years?!

Similar cases of writing things that can be seriously  misunderstood in spite of their plain meaning? I can not imagine how many similar cases either! Feel free to send me a comprehensive list!

Note: If you are going to make claims about something, it might be a good idea to actually check that those claims are substantiated. Since most of my publications are available one way or another online, you could just skim a few to see whether I typically make "contradictory" claims in them. No need to speculate!

So, you've dug yourself into a hole and it's time to stop digging and think hard about the situation. Consider how badly you misread me above! That should trigger a *big* reevaluation.

Not that I'm too sanguine that it will.

Cheers,
Bijan.