Re: Colon symbol in URI?

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 1:31 PM, Alan Ruttenberg
<alanruttenberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Dave Reynolds
> <dave.e.reynolds@gmail.com> wrote:
>> So "SMTH:0000353" is a legal segment and "/obo/SMTH:0000353" a legal
>> path and "http://purl.obofoundry.org/obo/SMTH:0000353" a legal URI.
>> Isn't it?
>
> I believe it is. However for reasons described we choose not to use
> colons in URIs and document this policy at
> http://obofoundry.org/id-policy.shtml
>
> Since the namespace is owned OBO we get to be authority in that
> namespace. So while the URI is legal, it is not well formed according
> to our community rules.

In addition, note that the we (the OBO community) delegate authority
over pieces of that namespace to ontology developers who work within
our standards - minimally that the ontology is free to use without
restrictions. I note that "SMTH" has not so been delegated, and so
minting these URIs is not kosher.

Anna, could you please send email to obo-admin@obofoundry.org to
request the namespace and register your ontology. As noted in our
policy document.

"Allocating IDSPACEs

IDSPACEs within the OBO library are unique for a given project and are
chosen not to conflict with prefix for xrefs. Although IDSPACEs are
case-sensitive, there will never be more than one IDSPACEs that are
the same when compared in a case-insensitive manner. Therefore,
although "GO" and "go", "Go" and  "gO" are different IDSPACEs, the
IDSPACE "go", "Go" and  "gO" will not be used as "GO" has already been
allocated.

A registry of allocated IDSPACEs will be maintained. Requests for an
IDSPACE should be made by sending mail to
obo-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net, cc obo-admin@fruitfly.org. A
request should include information about the ontology, such as scope
and maintainer and a confirmation that the ontology is open access."

If it turns out that the ontology is not open access, or that you do
not want to follow the documented policies for the namespace we would
ask that you cease using these URIs.

Thanks,
Alan