Re: ANN: SPARQL-DL query engine for the OWL API

Michael Schneider wrote:
> Holger Knublauch wrote:
>
>> Hi Thorsten (and others),
>>
>> have you considered that SPARQL-DL may not be a good name for a
>> technology that has an entirely different syntax and semantics from
>> SPARQL? When I looked at this, I expected to find a DL-friendly subset
>> of SPARQL. But this is not what SPARQL-DL is.
>>
>> I believe there is enough confusion on the marketplace already. Why not
>> call it something like OWL-QL?
>
> Because there already is an "OWL QL" query language:
>
>      <http://www.ksl.stanford.edu/projects/owl-ql/>
>
> ... and because there is now also an "OWL 2 QL" ontology language:
>
>      <http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-profiles-20091027/#OWL_2_QL>
>
> Good names are rare and precious. ;-)

Absolutely right.
Furthermore, the term "SPARQL-DL" is not our invention. The name has its
seeds in a OWLED '07 paper from Sirin and Parsia that introduced a
subset of SPARQL for OWL DL. Our implementation basically is an
extension of this query language wrt. OWL 2 on top of the OWL API.

Best,
Thorsten

>> On Mar 3, 2011, at 9:13 PM, Thorsten Liebig wrote:
>>
>>> We are happy to announce the initial release of our SPARQL-DL query
>> engine that is settled on top of the OWL API. The library is aligned
>> with the OWL 2 standard and adds a SPARQL-DL interface to every OWL API
>> 3 reasoner.
>>>
>>> Release 1.0.0 and accompanying documentation can be found at:
>>> http://www.derivo.de/en/resources/sparql-dl-api/
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> The RDF/OWL team at derivo
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dr. Thorsten Liebig
>>> Phone +49 731 502 4207
>>> mailto:liebig@derivo.de
>>>
>>> derivo GmbH<http://www.derivo.de>
>>> James-Franck-Ring, 89081 Ulm, Germany
>>> Amtsgericht Ulm, HRB 725444
>>> CEO: Dr. Thorsten Liebig
>
> --
> Dipl.-Inform. Michael Schneider
> Research Scientist, Information Process Engineering (IPE)
> Tel  : +49-721-9654-726
> Fax  : +49-721-9654-727
> Email: michael.schneider@fzi.de
> WWW  : http://www.fzi.de/michael.schneider
> FZI Forschungszentrum Informatik an der Universität Karlsruhe
> Haid-und-Neu-Str. 10-14, D-76131 Karlsruhe
> Tel.: +49-721-9654-0, Fax: +49-721-9654-959
> Stiftung des bürgerlichen Rechts
> Stiftung Az: 14-0563.1 Regierungspräsidium Karlsruhe
> Vorstand: Dipl. Wi.-Ing. Michael Flor, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Ralf Reussner,
> Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Dr. h.c. Wolffried Stucky, Prof. Dr. rer. nat. Rudi Studer
> Vorsitzender des Kuratoriums: Ministerialdirigent Günther Leßnerkraus

Dr. Thorsten Liebig
Tel. +49 731 502 4207
mailto:liebig@derivo.de

derivo GmbH <http://www.derivo.de>