Querying for individuals

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Pellet-users] Querying for individuals
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:56:46 -0500
From: Brandon Ibach <brandon@clarkparsia.com>
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>,        "cristi@ieee.org"
<cristi@ieee.org>,        Uli Sattler <sattler@cs.man.ac.uk>

Uh, yeah... what Alan said. :)

OWL's OWA and lack of the unique name assumption (UNA) can be rather
frustrating, when it comes to things like this, as you can find
yourself unable to get the reasoner to tell you something without
first explicitly saying it all (or almost all), yourself.  ("I want to
know if this statement is true!" "Well, is it?" "Yes!" "So, what are
you asking me for?")

When it comes to the uniqueness of individuals, I find a functional
data property to be quite handy, if the individuals have a convenient
unique identifier of some kind.  Otherwise, stepping outside of OWL
just a bit, Pellet does have a configuration option to enable a UNA
mode. [1]

Please consider returning this thread to the mailing list, at some
point, for the benefit of those that follow.

-Brandon :)

[1] http://clarkparsia.com/pellet/faq/una/