Re: The notion of a "classification criterion" as a class

Hi Bene

Allow me to suggest you are making a basic error in this approach.
Details below, in-line.

On Apr 15, 2010, at 2:30 PM, Benedicto Rodriguez wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Apologies for cross-posting but I thought the email might be
> relevant to both mailing lists:ontolog-forum@ontolog.cim3.net and public-owl-dev@w3.org
> .
>
> I am trying to put together an ontology design pattern (or
> combination of patterns) with the intent of modeling multiple
> alternative classification criteria of a domain concept.  At this
> point, I have to commit my focus to OWL (or more specifically, to an
> expressivity level within OWL-DL).
>
> In the process I have come across what I think it is an interesting
> modeling scenario. Let me use a simple example to describe it
> extracted from [1].  Consider the following set of classes (as a
> subset of a larger ontology model) in the popular domain of "family
> relationships" organized according to the following subsumption
> hierarchy:
>
> :Person
>     |-- :Man
>     |-- :Woman
>     |-- :Parent
>     |-- :Child
>     |-- :Sibling
>
> We could argue that this inheritance structure is not satisfactory
> because different concepts are represented by classes at the same
> level.

You could argue that, but to do so would reveal a misunderstanding
about the nature of class subsumption in OWL (and similar languages).
Classes in OWL are purely extensional: they are simply *sets* of
things (in this case, of people).

> That is, the concept of gender, represented by the classes :Man
> and :Woman, and the concept of kinship relationships, represented by
> the classes :Parent, :Child and :Sibling.  In that sense, the
> concepts of gender and kinship could be seen as two different
> classification criteria for all the subclasses of :Person.

Indeed, they could be so described. However, all these
subclassifications define subclasses of Person in the *same sense* of
subclass. The fact that Man is a gender-based subcategory and Child is
a kinship-based subcategory, while interesting, does not imply that
the *relationships* between the classes Person and Man, and between
Person and Child, are intrinsically different. They are not: they are
both simply subsumption.

Which is why...

> The issue that I am trying to solve deals with how to incorporate
> the representation of these classification criteria concepts into
> the ontology model.
>
> An initial approach (kind of intuitive to me) would be two represent
> the two classification criteria as classes (say :PersonByGender
> and :PersonByKinship) and regroup all the subclasses of :Person
> accordingly. The result would look like:
>
> :Person
>     |-- :PersonByGender
>     |   |-- :Man
>     |   |-- :Woman
>     |-- :PersonByKinship
>         |-- :Parent
>         |-- :Child
>         |-- :Sibling

.... this is a basic mistake. To see why, ask yourself what could be
the membership criterion for the category PersonByGender. Remember,
this has to be a set, determined solely by its members, not by any
other meta-property that it might be thought to have. But something is
a PersonByGender exactly when they are a Person (barring, perhaps,
some medical abnormalities) and also is a PersonByKinship exactly when
they are a Person. So these classes are all identical, when considered
as sets. And in OWL-DL, at any rate, one is obliged to treat them as
sets, by the semantic rules of the language.

> However, I see a conceptual problem with this model regarding the
> subsumption relation between :Person and the classification criteria
> classes :PersonByGender and :PersonByKinship, given that:
>
> - Who would be the individuals of classes such as :PersonByGender
> and :PersonByKinship?

Exactly.

> For example, if we consider :John and individual of type :Man, we
> can say that :John is also of type :Person.  But does it make sense
> to say that :John is of type :PersonByGender???
>
> - Are these classes :PersonByGender and :PersonByKinship in fact
> meta-classes?

I have no idea what a meta-class is, in your view. But if they are OWL
classes, then they are identical to the OWL class Person. So I would
suggest that this is not a useful design.

What I think you might find more useful (though it cannot be
encompassed in OWL-DL) would be to classify the properties, a
restriction on which defines the classes in question. Thus, if we were
to say that Man is the restriction of hasGender to Male, for example,
and that Parent is a hasValue restriction in the hasChild property,
then it would be these properties which characterize the various
classification  criteria with which your began. But this is just a
suggestion.

Pat Hayes

> (If I could use an analogy with object-oriented design, it is as if
> these two classes could be seen as abstract or deferred classes).
>
> This type of modeling scenario can be found in many concepts from
> various domains (essentially any concept whose individuals/instances
> could be grouped according to multiple different classification
> criteria). Below is another popular example in the OWL literature
> modified to fit into the same scenario and illustrate the problem [2]:
>
> :Wine
>     |-- :WineByColor
>     |   |-- :WhiteWine
>     |   |-- :RedWine
>     |   |-- (etc.)
>     |-- :WineByGrape
>          |-- :PinotGrigioWine
>          |-- :MerlotWine
>          |-- :CabernetSauvignonWine
>          |-- (etc.)
>
> In this case the classification criteria of :Wine are wines based on
> their color and wines based on their type of grape.  Like in the
> example of :Person, the classification criteria classes :WineByColor
> and :WineByGrape seem intuitive choices to group the rest of all
> subclasses of :Wine.

I believe that is the same mistake.

> However, the subsumption relation between :Wine <-  :WineByColor
> and :Wine <- :WineByGrape seems problematic.  Who would be the
> individuals of classes such as :WineByColor or :WineByGrape?
>
> In general terms, the subsumption relation between a :DomainConcept
> and a :ClassificationCriterion for that concept seems a bit
> controversial.  For example, It does not seem to fit into one of the
> 4 kinds of is-a relations defined by Johansson[3] plus  I think it
> would violate the constraints of the OntoClean evaluation as well.
> (Even though, for the most part I understand the theory behind the
> OntoClean method and I think it is very useful, I personally find it
> a bit difficult to apply coming from a software developer background).
>
> In summary, after this lengthy introduction, below are the questions
> that I am trying to answer:
>
> - Are subsumption relations such as :Person <- :PersonByGender
> or :Wine <- :WineByGrape acceptable?

Well yes, but only in a trivial sense. I suspect that for the purposes
you have in mind, the answer is no.

> - Can classes such as :PersonByGender or :WineByGrape be “correctly”
> represented in the ontology model?  That is, classes that correspond
> to a “classification criterion” and that may not have individuals
> (or extensional representation) in the real world.

If they have no individuals then they are the empty class, which is
also probably not what you want.

> - Are there some guidelines or good-practices on how to represent
> concepts that correspond to a “classification criterion” of the
> domain concept that is being modeled?

No.