Re: Questions on RDF mapping of OWL 2 data ranges

On Nov 9, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 4:06 PM, Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com
> > wrote:
>> Dear group,
>>
>> I am unsure about the right (and best) way of mapping user-defined
>> OWL 2
>> datatypes to RDF graphs. I have been skimming through the OWL specs
>> but all
>> examples I saw were of the following format (see
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-syntax-20091027/#Datatype_Definitions)
>> :
>>
>>        a:SSN rdf:type rdfs:Datatype .
>>        a:SSN owl:equivalentClass _:x .
>>        _:x rdf:type rdfs:Datatype .
>>        _:x owl:onDatatype xsd:string .
>>        _:x owl:withRestrictions ( _:y ) .
>>        _:y xsd:pattern "[0-9]{3}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{4}" .
>>
>> This means that a datatype is an instance of rdfs:Datatype that has
>> an
>> owl:equivalentClass of another (anonymous) datatype which then
>> points to the
>> fact restrictions as an rdf:List.
>>
>> 1) Would it also be allowed to use rdfs:subClassOf instead of
>> owl:equivalentClass?
>
> No. The mappings are defined precisely in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/REC-owl2-mapping-to-rdf-20091027/

But wait. It is certainly *correct* to use subClassOf instead of
EquivalentClass, since the latter entails the former. It might not
convey the full intention of the original OWL, of course, but that
does not make it into an error.

>> 2) Would it be legal to attach the restrictions directly on the named
>> datatype instead of going through the (very verbose!) blank node,
>> e.g.
>>
>>        a:SSN rdf:type rdfs:Datatype .
>>        a:SSN owl:onDatatype xsd:string .
>>        a:SSN owl:withRestrictions ( _:y ) .
>>        a:SSN xsd:pattern "[0-9]{3}-[0-9]{2}-[0-9]{4}" .
>
> No. If you don't see a mapping rule to create or parse such triples in
> the mapping document, then the construct isn't syntactically correct.

Correct in what language? It is perfectly legal RDF.

> If you wrote the above it wouldn't mean what you intend it to mean.

Can you elaborate on why not?

>> 3) Is it legal (and good practice) to subclass existing datatypes,
>> such as
>>
>>        a:SNN rdfs:subClass xsd:string .
>
> Not legal in OWL-DL. If you look at the reverse mapping the
> consequence of this is that a:SNN and xsd:string will be considered
> classes, not datatypes and that a term can't denote both a class and
> datatype.

Which is absurd, of course. A datatype *is* a class in RDF. Still, OWL
is rich in such absurdities.

> In OWL Full, this is allowed, but I wouldn't consider it good practice

I would. In what sense is a datatype *not* a class? It is defined to
be a set, after all.

Pat Hayes