Re: Restricting property instances in OWL

On 30 Jul 2009, at 04:35, Jevon Wright wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to define an OWL ontology that lets me do the following.
> Consider that I have an Edge which connects two Nodes. However, I
> wish to say that the Edge source is not the same as the Edge target,
> i.e. the Edge does not connect the same Node to itself.
>
> Is this possible to do in OWL, i.e. define that "source != target"?
> It seems that the restrictions apply only to classes and data types,
> not to instances.

Try ObjectHasSelf.

I.e., Say that

edge domain SourceNode.

SourceNode equiv Node and complementOf(ObjectHasSelf(edge))

(Sorry for the mix of syntaxes.)

This says that a Soruce Node is exactly those nodes which are not edge
related to themselves.

See:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/CR-owl2-syntax-20090611/#Self-Restriction

This is only in OWL 2, of course.