Re: class-specific inverse

On 2 Jun 2009, at 09:02, Rinke Hoekstra wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 1 jun 2009, at 16:44, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>>> But, if you have
>>> Springer publishes  YourBook and YourBook is an instance of Book,
>>> then this does *not* entail  Springer publishesBook  YourBook
>>
>> ...But this is the part I'm asking how to do :-)
>
> You can do this using complex role inclusion axioms (role chains)
> and marker properties [1]:
>
> - add an object property 'isBook'
> - put a self restriction on isBook on Book: Book subClassOf isBook
> some self
> - add a role chain definition to publishesBook: publishes o isBook -
> > publishesBook
> - (publishesBook does not have to be a subproperty of publishes)

Ah, this looks good! :)

I'm just puzzled why you say that "publishesBook" doesn't have to be a
subproperty of "publishes". If it isn't, then it could be the
universal property. I doubt that this is desired here. So if I'm not
overlooking anything, I would want to add this subproperty axiom.

Cheers

Thomas

> What happens is that any individual of type Book (e.g. YourBook)
> will 'get' an isBook relation with itself. Given a publisher
> individual (Springer) that has a publishes relation with YourBook,
> these properties will form a chain publishes, isBook... which is a
> sub property of publishesBook, and therefore the relation
> publishesBook will relate Springer to YourBook.
>
> Obviously you can easily do the same for publishesNewspaper &c.
>
> Alternatively, you can do the same for just the inverse (without a
> 'publishes' property): isBook o publishedBy -> bookPublishedBy
> Add publishesBook as inverse of bookPublishedBy to get the relation
> you wanted.
>
> Oh, and [2]
>
> -Rinke
>
> [1] shameless self-advertisement: http://www.amazon.com/Ontology-Representation-Intelligence-Applications-Dissertations/dp/1607500132/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243929407&sr=8-1
>
> [2] http://www.webont.org/owled/2009/
>

>> Alan gave me a pointer that I'll dig through a bit later.
>>
>> Lee
>>
>>> (the "range" only works in one direction, i.e., if  Springer
>>> publishesBook  YourBook and the range of publishesBook is Book,
>>> *then* YourBook is an instance of Book --- but not the other way
>>> round)
>>> Did this answer your question? Cheers, Uli
>>>>

> ---
> Drs Rinke Hoekstra
>
> Leibniz Center for Law      |  AI Department
> Faculty of Law              |  Faculty of Sciences
> Universiteit van Amsterdam  |  Vrije Universiteit
> Kloveniersburgwal 48        |  De Boelelaan 1081a
> 1012 CX  Amsterdam          |  1081 HV Amsterdam
> +31-(0)20-5253499           |  +31-(0)20-5987752
> hoekstra@uva.nl             |  hoekstra@few.vu.nl
>
> Homepage: http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke

Scosthrop (vb.)
   To make vague opening or cutting movements with the hands when
   wandering about looking for a tin opener, scissors, etc., in the hope
   that this will help in some way.