Re: UML-OWL Generator, A product to convert UML into OWL

On 4 May 2009, at 22:10, Elisa Kendall wrote:

> Hi Bijan,
>
> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>> Thanks Elisa. That's very interested. As you know, my brain seems
>> to resist UML, so these sorts of discussions are helpful indeed.
> You're clearly not the only one :).

Misery loves company...

>  We /still/ come up with questions on both sides of the problem (UML
> as well as OWL) given that it's nature is "round peg, square hole",
> at levels of detail that still make my head hurt at times.

:)

[snip]

>>> Yes -- it's integral, in fact.
>>
>> I'm confused. So, if I translate a UML diagram into an OWL ontology
>> and align that ontology to DOLCE, I infringe?
> No -- only if you use the ontology as part of the transformation
> process (I think, if I understand what you're saying), and only if
> the transformation met other criteria.
[snip]

So what's the difference between:
	A) AlignWith(Translate2OWL(UML), DOLCE) (where the output is an
ontology aligned with DOLCE)
and
	B) Translate2OWLWithOntology(UML, DOLCE) (where the output is an
ontology aligned with DOLCE)

Or to put it another way, what's the value add of using the ontology
"as part of the transformation"? What different sorts of output do you
get?

Cheers,
Bijan.