Re: UML-OWL Generator, A product to convert UML into OWL

Hi Bijan,

I hadn't intended to point this out myself (since I'm assuming the folks
who we've been exchanging email with have seen it and don't believe that
it is an issue for their work), but thanks.

We had what we believed were some key insights years ago, confirmed with
Grady Booch in fact, that led us to believe that in order to create a
"proper" mapping from a UML model to OWL, you needed to understand more
about the semantics of the model than might be available from
traditional reverse engineering.  This was early work to tease out some
of the issues, including the need for not only a of the language
metamodel but an ontology of critical terminology in order to "do the
right thing".  We still use this approach in our tools, but have refined
it significantly since 2000/2001 when we did the original research, as
you might expect.  The approach covers the combination of the
methodology and the transformation to OWL (or other things).  It
predates ODM substantially, but our current work has been updated to
support parts of the standard.

When we submitted our inputs to ODM (and since, with subsequent updates
to the standard), we agreed to license any relevant patents to anyone
who was interested at reasonable commercial rates.  That would include
the one you found.  We are also planning to contribute some of the work
to an emerging Eclipse project, the Eclipse/MDT project, and hope to get
the ODM metamodels, profiles, and APIs out in the Galileo release coming
out next month, fyi.  None of those components require a license to our
patent from a usage perspective.

Best,

Elisa