Re: Subsumption question

Hi Matthew,

I think there's 2 problems here:

(A) the term "inherited anonymous classes" in Protégé seems to be
misleading IMHO. It actually means "inferred anonymous superclasses".
Protégé team, please correct me if I'm getting this wrong. Otherwise,
please consider rephrasing. ;-)

(B) There still seems to be confusion between the subclass
relationship (IS-A) and the superclass relationship (the converse of
IS-A). Let me try to clarify this:

* You say that BYD is a subclass of X, where X is the (anonymous)
class "SO & isClass some (K or M)".
* You look for super- and subclasses of Y, where Y is "SO & isClass
some K".

Now the following things hold:

(1) BYD is a subclass of X (see above).
(2) Y is a subclass of X by the logical laws, but not vice versa!

(1) and (2) together do not say anything about the relationship
between BYD and Y: those are completely independent from each other.
If the converse of (2) held, you could infer (via "subclass of" being
transitive) that BYD is a subclass of Y, and this would then appear as
a query result. With the things you've asserted, nothing can be
inferred (neither by humans nor by machines).

HTH

Thomas

|  Dr Thomas Schneider                         schneider@cs.man.ac.uk  |

Craboon (vb.)