 From: public-owl-dev-request@w3.org on behalf of ray@aarden.us
 Sent: Mon 4/6/2009 4:51 AM
 To: public-owl-dev@w3.org
 Subject: Standards Requirements Organization

Please help me identify the tools appropriate and the methods (steps) to
perform the following tasks:
1) In the context of multi-discipline engineering, there are standards from
international standards organizations such as IEC and there are corporate
standards.  Some companies that have their own standards are looking at
transitioning to the international base and supplementing with their own
standards.  It seems that an ontological approach might facilitate the
conversion, help assure complete coverage, and minimize extraneous
references.  But I can't picture what the arrangement may be.

2) To safely and efficiently perform engineering designs based upon a
specific standard (or set of standards), it is advantageous to have a set of
procedures or repeatable patterns of activities to assure compliance to the
requirements of the standards along with project requirements.  It is typical
to collect the requirements a particular project evokes, manage these across
the lifecycle of the project and subsequent operations, and transform the
requirements into a solution space.  The concern is how to transform a set of
standards into a set of requirements that will populate a database for
subsequent management.

I would really appreciate all discussions.

Thanks,
Ray