Re: Issue with unbounded alphabets in datatypes

[OWL WG, please see:
	<http://www.w3.org/mid/
492f2b0b0810201028w4184475csa51d27429e05bc21@mail.gmail.com>]

Hi Birte,

On Oct 20, 2008, at 6:28 PM, Birte Glimm wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to raise a discussion about the currently proposed
> assumption that the alphabet of the String-based datatypes is
> unbounded.

I'm just wondering which text you think requires that. For
xsd:string, it clearly seems that there is a finite alphabet:
	http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#string

Oh, but rdf:text:
	http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/wiki/
InternationalizedStringSpec#Definition_of_the_rdf:text_Datatype
doesn't seem to have any constraint on alphabet.

Though in:
	http://www.w3.org/2005/rules/wiki/DTB#Symbol_Spaces

we read:
"""rdf:text (http://www.w3.org/2007/rif#text, for text strings with
language tags attached).

This symbol space represents text strings with a language tag
attached. The lexical space of rdf:text is the set of all Unicode
strings of the form ...@LANG, i.e., strings that end with @LANG where
LANG is a language identifier as defined in [BCP-47]"""

which seems to restrict it to Unicode (3.0?) strings.

I agree that allowing an unbounded alphabet is absurd. XML has had to
face this as well. I think we should suck it up.

I've cced the editors of the rdf:text document so they can take note
of the issue.

Cheers,
Bijan.