Re: Inferencing more specific roles

On 11 Aug 2008, at 14:35, Andrew Gibson wrote:
[snip]
> In this case, the Property hierarchy looks like:
>
> hasChild	(range Person)
> 	hasDaughter	(subPropertyOf hasChild, range FemalePerson)
> 	hasSon		(subPropertyOf hasChild, range Maleperson)
[snip]
> In this case I was investigating how Theoretical Datasource 1, that
> states for each individual:

My first, reflexive response is "DL Safe Rules", since you are
aligning data.

> Gender 		(as MalePerson or FemalePerson)
> Children	(as hasChild)
>
> could be integrated with another Theoretical Datasource 2, that uses:
>
> Gender		(not asserted, only Person)
> Children	(as hasSon and hasDaughter – Genders inferred)
>
> Simply put, the problem with directly integrating these is that in
> the Datasource 1, given the Class assertions:
>
> Vera instanceOf FemalePerson
> Jane instanceOf FemalePerson
> Vera hasChild Jane
>
> It does not seem possible to infer the more specific relationship:
>
> Vera hasDaughter Jane
>
> that would make the data directly comparable to the representation
> of Datasource 2.
[snip]

You might be able to use the following trick:
	http://www.w3.org/2007/OWL/tracker/issues/22
Which would give you a stronger result (i.e., class subsumptions)
than the corresponding DL Safe rule.

Cheers,
Bijan.