Re: Intersection of properties?

Jeff Thompson schrieb:

> Dimitrios Koutsomitropoulos wrote:
>  > [1] Gasse, F., Sattler, U., & Haarslev, V. (2008). Rewriting Rules into
>  > SROIQ Axioms. Proceedings of the 2008 International Workshop on
> Description
>  > Logics (DL-2008).
>
> I just read "Rewriting Rules into SROIQ Axioms"  Brilliant!  This is
> exactly
> what I meant about putting the rules for using an OWL ontology into
> the ontology.

Btw.

Markus Krötzsch, Sebastian Rudolph, Pascal Hitzler
ELP: Tractable Rules for OWL 2.
In: Proceedings ISWC2008.
To appear.
<http://korrekt.org/papers/KroetzschRudolphHitzler_ELP_TR_2008.pdf>

goes quite a bit further.

> Here is my pressing issue.
>
> The OWL language goes to great lengths to be monotonic and decidable,
> but cannot express what to do with contradictions.  For example:
> DisjointClasses(Human, City)
> ClassAssertion(Washington, Human)
> ClassAssertion(Washington, City)
>
> Contradictions like this are inevitable.  For me to be able to use OWL
> without
> needing to extend it with an external rules language, an OWL ontology
> needs to be expressive
> enough to say what to do if someone inserts a contradictory assertion.

That's a tough one. To do this logically, one would either have to
revert to paraconsistent reasoning or - possibly - to some other
non-monotonic formalism. Neither is mature enough for standardisation, imo.

In case you care, you can check out the following.

Stephan Grimm, Pascal Hitzler
Semantic Matchmaking of Web Resources with Local Closed-World Reasoning.
International Journal of e-Commerce 12 (2), 89-126, Winter 2007-8.
<http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/phi/resources/publications/lcw-matchmaking.pdf>

Yue Ma, Pascal Hitzler, Zuoquan Lin
Paraconsistent Reasoning for Expressive and Tractable Description Logics.
In: Franz Baader, Carsten Lutz, Boris Motik, Proceedings of the 21st
International Workshop on Description Logics, DL2008, Dresden, Germany,
May 2008. CEUR Workshop Proceedings Vol. 353, 2008. ISSN 1613-0073.
<http://www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/phi/resources/publications/dl2008-ma.pdf>

Best Regards,

Pascal.

--
PD Dr. Pascal Hitzler
Institute AIFB, University of Karlsruhe (TH), 76128 Karlsruhe