Re: Intersection of properties?

Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2008, at 2:19 AM, Jeff Thompson wrote:
>
>> Michael Schneider wrote:
>>> Bijan Parsia answered to Jeff Thompson:

>>   Consider the simpler example "if Y is Desirable and Y is Doable
>> then Y is Done".   In OWL 2 with class intersections:
>> SubClassOf(ObjectIntersectionOf(Desirable Doable) Done)
>> Thus if
>> ClassAssertion(action Desirable)
>> ClassAssertion(action Doable)
>> we can conclude
>> ClassAssertion(action Done)
>>
>> In Prolog:
>> 'Done'(Y) :- 'Desirable'(Y), 'Doable'(Y).
>>
>> I am asking about the same thing with properties.
>
> Yeah, doubtful and not obvious.  You can add boolean operators on roles
> in a lot of cases but it generally makes things harder. See:
>     http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~ezolin/dl/
> and
>     http://iswc2007.semanticweb.org/papers/435.pdf
>
> (You might also look at ALC_{reg} and PDL.)
>
> If you are willing for this not to (directly) affect subsumptions, then
> DL Safe rules will do the job.

I sounds like many implementors see that even OWL 2 is not expressive
enough to solve their data processing needs, and so everyone has
their own extensions in Pellet, etc.  And yet, the argument against
adding more expressiveness to OWL 2 (still decidable) is the fear
that not enough people will implement it and so that "OWL 2 compliant"
won't mean much.  I know it's a difficult political task to balance.
Is the general assumption that there will need to be several more
revision cycles to OWL before a large number of people will use it
as specified without needing to add their own incompatible extensions?