Re: OWL (or RDFS) and RDF and language tags

On 5 Feb 2008, at 23:19, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> It's been suggested to me that this would be a good place to ask
> the following question.

It should be.

> All suggestions or pointers are very much appreciated!
>
> Is there either a standard way or a conventional way (best
> practice) for indicating that the range of a predicate is a
> localizable literal (i.e. plain literal with a language tag)?

I don't think so, at the moment.

> Similarly, is there a way to indicate in RDF Schema or OWL that the
> range of a property should be a plain literal w/ no language tag.
> (I guess that a datatype property of with range xsd:string is
> semantically equivalent to a plain literal with no language tag,
> but that still doesn't address my first question).

That would be my solution to the second question (i.e., xsd:string).

It can also be a solution of sorts to the first, though it requires
reifying (in the generic sense) the literals. E.g., instead of a name
string you have a name object which has a stringValue and a langType
property. Then you can have very fine grained controlled over what's
permissible, but you do have to have a mapping in order to get langed
literals back out of it.

> I read http://www.inter-locale.com/whitepaper/iswc2004.pdf but
> couldn't really make heads or tails as to whether it helps with my
> problem :) (I've since also been pointed to http://www.w3.org/2007/
> OWL/tracker/issues/71 which seems related to my question, but I
> can't tell whether resolution of the issue would solve my problem
> or not.)

If the resolution were to allow for lang tag based constraints, it
would. I added a pointer to this thread in this issue.

Cheers,
Bijan.